Specialized Camber Expert vs Lapierre Zetsy 214

mrfullswing
mrfullswing Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everyone! Really got into trail riding over the last two years and feel it's time to upgrade from my Kona Cinderkone. Have managed to narrow my choice down to two bikes, the Specialized Camber Expert or the Lapierre Zetsy 214. Currently mainly do trail centre riding, Forrest of Dean - Verderers, Ashton Court & Leigh Woods & have recently been to Swinley Forrest. Would like to try some natural trails this summer.

So which do you recommend? Do like that the Camber has a 720 bar and shorter stem, but the Zesty does look nice :wink:

Thanks.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You wont get many responses without links so here they are

Camber:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030719

Zesty:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lap ... e-ec031530

Tough choice between the 2, to me it would come down to do I want 120mm or 140mm travel. And personally I'd go for 140mm on the Zesty for a more all round bike.

Test rides?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo
    And someone will say Canyon very soon.

Strava
  • Thanks for posting links :)

Have looked at Canyon but want to buy from a dealer not direct.
  • Camber has 720 bar and shorter stem, yes could buy these for Zesty but more exspense. Tyres on Zesty get bad reviews but could put my current Maxxis on it.
  • oodboo
    Bars and stems are easy to change but you can't add 20mm more travel to the camber.

To be honest I'd probably go for the Trek Fuel EX 6:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec029941

And spend the £200 change from your 1800 on bits like bars and stem to make it suit me.

Strava
  • Not so sure about the Trek? In March edition of MBR when the reviewed best short travel bikes for £2K they gave a Camber a 10 and the Trek Ex 7 only a 8. Going to try and get test rides over the on both the Camber and Zesty of the next few weeks, currently think I prefer the overhaul spec of the Camber.
  • Just to report back I got the Camber from Evans a few weeks back at a great price of £1600 :-) Believe there online system gave me discount that shouldn't have been available as two days later would have to have paid £1800!! Really loving it and glad I choose it over the Lapierre.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Zesty here but i'm biased, had mine for 18 months and love it
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Met090
    Met090 Posts: 1
    I have had my camber expert for a few months and love it! I rode several ex8s but something just did not feel right. Very happy with my camber. My only upgrade would be tubeless.