Loving this cycling business.

MrCubeLtd
MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
I spent the good part of the last 22 years being a slob. Take aways, burgers, ciggs, booze and generally not looking after myself. Got to a point where I had had enough. I last rode a MTB 22 years ago. Introduced a spinner bike to build up my legs, diet change etc Brought my cube over 3 weeks ago and I can't get enough of it. Still yet to hit a proper trail but now riding with my mate 7 miles a day mixture of roads, cliffs, some limited trails and XC. Learning all the time, making a few mistakes, slowly building up my confidence. My arse isn't sore anymore (ok ask me again when I get to the level of a 30 mile bike ride :D ), the pain in my palms has gone as I get used to the bike. Put a 60mm stem on, now have more control. The old hydraulic brakes, even now I am still getting used to!

I'm sitting here right now typing, absolutely knackered, arms and legs ache. But I look at my bike and its right, when is the next ride? Why I didn't do this sooner? Guess I wasn't ready. I'm 38 and even though still overweight I'm fitter then I've been for a very long while. Just got to pack the smokes in, but one stage at a time.

When we rode in Newquay today, we had hail stones, rain, sunshine, extreme NW winds, mud on the trails near the cliffs. Ok its nothing special but its a start, guess I'm trying to make a point that people can see the light and change their lifestyle. Get covered in mud and be soaked through and still be happy. I used to be one of those blokes that got a spec of dirt on my white trainers I'd sulk. Now, more mud and rain the better :D
I'm pedalling as fast as I can!

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Well done and just take it nice and slowly building up the distance and speed it will all come together but don't over do it as you'll only end up with muscle, ligament and joint injuries due to the not so active lifestyle let the muscle groups adjust to working and make sure your bike is set up properly so your not over stressing.

You'll be wearing lycra next :shock:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    Im in a similar position. Spent most of the last 10 years spending too much time smoking, drinking and eating crap and as a result went from 12 stone to 18 stone, i'm now down to 16.5 :D . Cigs are gone, i've cut right down on the drinking and trying my hardest to start eating better. Basically got stuck in a rut.
    I've had my Giant hardtail for a few years now and have only recently started to get out and about on it. Living where I do I should be taking advantage of all we have to offer round here, my only struggle at the moment is i'm unfit and have no one to ride with so usually go out alone. The ones i do know who go out are far too advanced for me yet but i'll get there :D

Glad you're enjoying it :D:D The times i have gotten out i feel so much better afterwards
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • MrCubeLtd
    MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
    Lycra, yep got some of them. Padded undershorts I wear under my baggy shorts. Thats my limit I'm afraid :D
    I've got the seat height, stem, controls set to what I am finding comfortable for me based on limited experience, so far all good. Yep definitely not pushing too much, don't want to overstretch myself etc

Know what you mean about rides. I'm moving back to surrey Next week and all my mates back up there don't ride. I'm gonna pop to my LBS and find out about local riding clubs for beginners etc My best mate in Newquay is in the same position, we are very similar skill level and when I'm gone he's gonna need someone to ride with.
    I'm pedalling as fast as I can!
  • You are hooked, the spend is unlimited as your enjoyment is going to be. Keep at it and you will reap rewards on many levels.