InTandem Design Competition - £1000 prize!

InTandem
InTandem Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
The InTANDEM Competition is on the hunt for a new warning symbol to reduce large vehicle and cycle collisions. DeSign a safer cycling sign for a chance to win £1000!.

We’re looking for a new design to remind drivers to be extra vigilant in their watch for riders and warn cyclists that extra care is needed when passing along the inside of large vehicles.

For more information check out our:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/InTANDEMComp
FB: https://www.facebook.com/InTANDEMComp

Comments

• Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    InTandem wrote:
    6. Copyright of the prize-winning images is relinquished to How’s My Ltd and any images submitted for this competition each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to How’s My Limited to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.

That's a nice rights grab condition you have there :roll:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Simmotino wrote:
    InTandem wrote:
    6. Copyright of the prize-winning images is relinquished to How’s My Ltd and any images submitted for this competition each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to How’s My Limited to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.

That's a nice rights grab condition you have there :roll:

You'd want the £1,000 "prize" but still expect to keep the rights to your design?
  • Simmotino
    You'd want the £1,000 "prize" but still expect to keep the rights to your design?

I wouldn't expect to enter, not win, and still hand over an unlimited usage license.

ETA: Even if I did win, I wouldn't hand over copyright (although the usage license would be acceptable). Copyright should always remain with the designer.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Simmotino wrote:

I wouldn't expect to enter, not win, and still hand over an unlimited usage license.

ETA: Even if I did win, I wouldn't hand over copyright (although the usage license would be acceptable). Copyright should always remain with the designer.

I think the idea is more a bit of fun to design something, with a potential £1k prize. Sounds like you're taking it far too serious - are you a Graphic Designer? Seems a reasonable condition to me really - and they clearly state the terms. If anyone doesnt like it then they dont have to submit anything - seems pretty obvious it isn't really aimed at a commercial designer
  • Simmotino
    I think the idea is more a bit of fun to design something, with a potential £1k prize. Sounds like you're taking it far too serious - are you a Graphic Designer? Seems a reasonable condition to me really - and they clearly state the terms. If anyone doesnt like it then they dont have to submit anything - seems pretty obvious it isn't really aimed at a commercial designer

I agree no one is forced to enter, but it doesn't mean that organisations should be allowed to enforced copyright grabs unchallenged, whether the winning design comes from a professional or not.

It happens a lot with photographic competitions and is now happening more and more with design competitions. Sharp practice IMO.

As the man in drag who sounds like (s)he smokes 60 a day would say - I'm out :mrgreen:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I think Simmotino is right, it is taking a liberty.

Professional unpaid pitches are one thing, but all rights remain with those that don't receive the money. This is a nice way of getting round that.

Make it open to all and only have to pay for one design but get hundreds of free ones, is taking the piff.

Only the winner should give away their rights for useage, as they accept the dosh to do so.

I realise that copyright remains the property of the artist at all times, but you have to pay for unlimited useage.

It is unnecessary if this is supposed to be a bit of fun.

(Just the opinion of a professional graphic designer)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • yuhang
    yuhang Posts: 6
    still hand over an unlimited usage license.
    g.gif
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Simmotino wrote:

I agree no one is forced to enter, but it doesn't mean that organisations should be allowed to enforced copyright grabs unchallenged, whether the winning design comes from a professional or not.

It happens a lot with photographic competitions and is now happening more and more with design competitions. Sharp practice IMO.

As the man in drag who sounds like (s)he smokes 60 a day would say - I'm out :mrgreen:
    +1 - I totally agree with this, as a graphic designer myself the copyright stays with the creator of a logo or motif unless agreed otherwise between the two parties.