which bike is better?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Of the bikes I linked to, I would go for the No Name MTB if I were you. Change the saddle, give it some love and enjoy having mudguards, a rear rack and the £190 you've just saved.

BTW, I think its a Raleigh.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Need to check the size and i've no idea how close it is to you (just stuck in a sample postcode)

But this is the sort of thing I'd aim for

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIANT-RACER-/ ... 3a73409051
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jc0092
    jc0092 Posts: 30
    Need to check the size and i've no idea how close it is to you (just stuck in a sample postcode)

This looks good, thanks. what is the frame size you reckon, looks small
  • EKE_38BPM

Winner. I used to have a Giant OCR. Good riding for just under 10 years. It eventually died after a crack in the drive side chain stay just behind the BB.
    ~35 miles away, but that is what I'd go for.

• EKE_38BPM
    jc0092 wrote:

I'd guess its a medium. 54cm. Ask the question on ebay.

• jc0092 wrote:

At 5'8" I think you'd be on a medium in Giant sizing. That frame doesn't look like a medium to me.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jc0092
    Greg66 wrote:
    jc0092 wrote:

At 5'8" I think you'd be on a medium in Giant sizing. That frame doesn't look like a medium to me.

It looks like 50cm. Is it a problem if I pick a small frame, then adjust the seat higher?
    Have asked the seller, need to wait
  • jc0092 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    jc0092 wrote:

It looks like 50cm. Is it a problem if I pick a small frame, then adjust the seat higher?
    Have asked the seller, need to wait

Small frame can't be cured by simply upping the saddle. A small frame also means a short frame front to back: your hands will want to be further forward than the handlebars are, and your knees will come close to, or hit the handlebars.

I think you need to make some decisions before you go window shopping.

First, what sort of bike do you want? Hybrid, road racer, mountain bike? Other? Or more simply, do you want drop handlebars or flat bars?
    Secondly, do you really need gears? If you're doing a 6 mile commute on the flat, and nothing else, there's no real reason why you'd need gears. Single speeds tend to be cheaper (and lighter).
    Thirdly, do you need something that can take a pannier rack?
    Fourthly, work out what size you're going to need. You may have to trawl the manufacturers' websites to find this out, because there's no such thing as standardised sizing in the bike industry.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have to be careful with these cheap second hand bikes - no offence to the OP, but as yet does not sound like he has enough knowledge if they need work doing to them. Many need a bloody good service, and I mean a strip to the bare bones, bearings greased/adjusted, cables sorted etc etc. Good if you know how to do it (and people should learn), but a newbie? Be careful.

To be honest I would buy new in this instance. I would visit a local shop and take advantage of the service they provide. They should ensure that you have a good basic fit, that the bike is set up, then you will usually have a free service, plus your warranty. Then take some time to get some tools and read up about basic maintenance.

The Carrera Subway is a decent little bike. Light frame, cromoly forks, workable gearset, comfortable geometry - a little heavy, but well made and would be a good bet for a short commute.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Also avoid anything ...... once decent brands such as Raleigh, Dawes or Viking.

= poor advice. At least as far as Dawes and Raleigh go who still make decent bikes.

And plus one to what Supersonic said re the Carrera.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    Rolf F wrote:
    Also avoid anything ...... once decent brands such as Raleigh, Dawes or Viking.

= poor advice. At least as far as Dawes and Raleigh go who still make decent bikes.

And plus one to what Supersonic said re the Carrera.

When typing Dawes I meant Claude Butler. It came out as Dawes after too much Guinness.

Raleigh are making a bit of a comeback but I'd still go for Trek/Specialized/Giant or Cannondale.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • supersonic
    CLaud Butler do a great bike for the cash:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B4197.html?mv_pc=gp1

Is reduced, and of course a web buy, but a lovely bike for the money.
  • jc0092
    supersonic wrote:
    Have to be careful with these cheap second hand bikes - no offence to the OP, but as yet does not sound like he has enough knowledge if they need work doing to them. Many need a bloody good service, and I mean a strip to the bare bones, bearings greased/adjusted, cables sorted etc etc. Good if you know how to do it (and people should learn), but a newbie? Be careful.

To be honest I would buy new in this instance. I would visit a local shop and take advantage of the service they provide. They should ensure that you have a good basic fit, that the bike is set up, then you will usually have a free service, plus your warranty. Then take some time to get some tools and read up about basic maintenance.

The Carrera Subway is a decent little bike. Light frame, cromoly forks, workable gearset, comfortable geometry - a little heavy, but well made and would be a good bet for a short commute.

True, I am a complete newbie, and I don't know where to start to learn doing basic maintenance, what tools I need and what I should do.
  • jc0092
    supersonic wrote:
    CLaud Butler do a great bike for the cash:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B4197.html?mv_pc=gp1

Is reduced, and of course a web buy, but a lovely bike for the money.

Will this be better than the carrera subway limited? It looks better, but I don't really know lol
  • supersonic
    Has a more refined gearset and more durable rear hub.

Park Tools website has all sorts of info on maintenance.

This is a great buy:

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p41164/Bike-H ... imano.aspx

But to start, just checking all nuts and bolts are tightened correctly (say weekly) will keep you going, as well as cleaning and oiling of parts.
  • tailwindhome
    Removed.

If nothing constructive to say, don't say it at all.
  • jc0092
    I found a local shop of mine and they have detailed information on their web

http://www.rustyscycles.co.uk/products. ... d=m1b0s0p0

Any suggestion (eg which bike) if I get a new one? £200
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    The Falcon City 6 for £165 looks like it will do the job admirably well. There's no front derailleur so it should be pretty easy to maintain. It's very basic, but believe me that is all you need for a four mile commute and at this price point you're better off not having any 'extras'. It already has rack and mudguards so no need to add those.

If you don't like the look of the chainguard, you can always take it off. So long as you spray the chain with TF2 or similar, and wipe off with a rag fairly regularly it shouldn't get too rusty or dirty anyway.

http://www.rustyscycles.co.uk/products. ... 1b0s18p223
  • jc0092
    supersonic wrote:
    Has a more refined gearset and more durable rear hub.

Park Tools website has all sorts of info on maintenance.

This is a great buy:

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p41164/Bike-H ... imano.aspx

But to start, just checking all nuts and bolts are tightened correctly (say weekly) will keep you going, as well as cleaning and oiling of parts.

the tool looks cool. But do I need so many tools? Or should I get kit with fewer tools
  • supersonic
    The toolkit is comprehensive, and when the time comes to service the bike yourself, you'll have practically everything you need. Most shops offer a service after 6 weeks (or a few rides as the bike beds in). This will give time to learn some basics. The manual should include basic adjustments anyway.

With the ebay bike you could run into problems as outlined earlier - unless you are willing to get the toolkit straight away and get stuck in! And it may not fit.

The Falcon looks quite basic to me - poor gearset headset and hubs and a lot of steel parts so will be very heavy. It will get you there, and comes ready equipped with rack and guards, but be prepared to spend more time maintaining it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Removed.

You're right, I nearly added to your sarcasm with even more. Probably just as well.
  • tailwindhome
    Removed.

I've already posted a response to this which seems to have been deleted.

I'll let the forumites read the thread and judge for themselves wether or not I've been constructive during this thread.

I'm going to step back here as this has really irritated me and it's best to calm down. It'll be interesting to see how the moderation of this forum settles down over the next couple of weeks.

I'd be grateful if the moderator/admin who decided to delete the comment was to PM me their reasoning.

Oh and the Giant Racer I took the time to search for for the OP has just gone for £102 - would have be perfect if the right size....
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    FWIW, I think it's heavy-handed moderation, too.

I know this is a help-the-newbie thread, which is cool, but flat-out removing [fairly inoffensive vaguely amusing] posts without explanation is just a bit.... cack.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • supersonic
    Let's get back on topic please. The mod who deleted the post does not have to even give a reason, let alone PM anyone nor reveal themselves. I can see who it is in the moderator log (and also what the post was) - but is not up to me to reveal them either. The post did seem to be rather sarcastic, and in my opinion probably caused more confusion anyway to the OP!

So let's move on, and guide the OP to the right conclusions. I do not want to see any more on the matter in this thread.
  • tailwindhome
    supersonic wrote:
    Let's get back on topic please. The mod who deleted the post does not have to even give a reason, let alone PM anyone nor reveal themselves. I can see who it is in the moderator log (and also what the post was) - but is not up to me to reveal them either. The post did seem to be rather sarcastic, and in my opinion probably caused more confusion anyway to the OP!

So let's move on, and guide the OP to the right conclusions. I do not want to see any more on the matter in this thread.

Fair play to you (again) Supersonic for having the courtesy to at least reply. My post wasn't intended to be 'sarcastic' to the OP and should really have been seen in context of the my overall contribution to the thread.

So where at we at now.

New bike. C£200. Hybrid.

Still think a trip to Decathlon is the way forward or just get the Carrera from Halfords.

FWIW I've a Carrera Vulcan (basic level MTB) which would be a great wee commuter with slick tyres.
  • jc0092
    Sorry for the mess. But thanks for all the advice so far, I'm pleased as newbie often get ignored. Cheers. The Giant Racer was too small for me what a pity.

I won the auction for Carrera Subway 1. Please guide me:
    1) What should I do to inspect the bike during cash on collection?
    2) Should I buy the Bike Hand Bikeland 19 Piece Tool Kit instead of that for Shimano specific for self-maintenance?
    http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p50649/Bike-H ... l-Kit.aspx
    I'm determined to learn to fix the bike myself.

THANKS ALL
  • supersonic
    The major difference in toolkits is that the 19 has headset spanners for the old style threaded headsets. I would try not to get a bike with a threaded headset, but the newer threadless type that is a simple allen key adjust. This leaves the original toolkit better value, and more up to date.

headset-threaded-small.jpg

headset-threadless-small.jpg

Decathlon is a good shout, do a range of decent machines - as are the older vulcans (the new model is now £379!).
  • tailwindhome
    jc0092 wrote:
    I won the auction for Carrera Subway 1. Please guide me:
    1) What should I do to inspect the bike during cash on collection?

As it's an Ebay auction, unless it varies wildly from the description it's now yours. It looks perfect.

You've only paid £60 out of your budget - leaves plenty for your LBS to give it the once over
    Tips on buying second-hand bikes/stuff:

1. If there’s no frame number anywhere on the secondhand steed, beware. It may have been stolen and filed off.

2. Look for crash damage. If a frame is bent, forget it. It’ll be severely weakened. The most common damage area is just behind the head tube, on the top and down tubes. Look for paint and/or metal distortion. If the headset cups move in the frame, it may be evidence of a frontal impact.

3. Check the fork isn’t bent. If the legs are pushed back from the steerer angle, the bike has been ridden into something. Turn the steering to see if there are loose and tight spots in the headset. If it locks or loosens, there has probably been impact damage. Make sure the suspension fork compresses and rebounds smoothly.

4. Line up the front and rear wheels by eye from the back. If the wheels aren’t in line, the frame has been hit from the side or is badly built. And check the wheels are central in the frame and not off to one side.

5. Inspect the rear mech gear hanger and dropouts for damage. You can have a new gear hanger fitted to a steel frame, but alu frames have a replaceable hanger as there are less people able to repair them.

6. Spin the wheels. Are they straight and true? Minor sideways buckles are easy to true but big ups and downs often mean a new wheel. Factor this in to the price.

7. Check the tyres and sidewalls for wear and damage. Proper MTB tyres are costly to replace (£20-£35).

8. Check everything that has bearings. Have the bearings got play or are they stiff? Pay particular attention to hubs, bottom bracket, pedals and headsets. They may just need servicing but if they’ve been that way for a while, they may be beyond the re-greasing solution.

9. Check the brakes. Are the pads worn down? Do they work smoothly without grabbing? If not, look for buckled rims or wonky or damaged disc rotors.

10. Check the drivetrain. If a chain doesn’t sit snugly on the teeth, it’ll may need replacing. Unfortunately, if a chain has been ridden while worn out, it may also have worn out the sprockets. A new chain will often slip on old worn sprockets, as an old chain will slip on new sprockets.

11. Make sure stems and seat posts aren’t seized. This is a common problem on old bikes. Take an Allen key with you and when everything is tight and set, go for a test ride.
  • supersonic
    Ah, he bought it! I have to say for £67 it does look tidy!

As above, check over, get the tools and oil/grease/cleaners, and reven consider more comfortable parts if need be ie saddle/grips/pedals. Lighter tyres can work wonders too.