jc0092 Posts: 30
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys, I only have £200 budget.
which is better?

The Halcyon Sonoma
http://www.halcyonbikes.com/bikes/sonoma/sonoma.htm

OR

Carrera Subway Limited Edition Hybrid Bike 2012
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_840919_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Thanks

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Hi

Don't know anything about either of these two bikes, but as to which is best for you, you need to tell us what you want to use it for, how far you intend to ride etc. Once you know this, I imagine a few people here will be able to make some useful suggestions. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They're pretty similar but on balance I'd elect to take the Carrera at that price. Cable disc brakes can be a bit of a bugger and those will be cheap ones.

It'd help if you're reasonably adept with some allen keys though; my Kraken came with loose cranks and a loose derailleur hanger, so the build quality wasn't exactly top notch.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jc0092
    thanks, any more advice between those two?
    just for commuting (4miles a day)
    'and the brake is Bengal Unique Disc x2, are they cheap crap?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Never heard of those particular units.

At that budget the Carrera is probably the better bet. It's simpler and more of the parts are from big brands. V-brakes are easy to maintain and diagnose problems with, cable discs tend to be a bit more temperamental.

As a rule of thumb, if your budget is low then it's best to go for simple technology.

Don't forget to budget for a few ancillary essentials:

Pump (you're not going to be bothered about weight or any poncy nonsense about 'spoiling the lines of the bike' so just get a conventional frame pump; it will be easier to use than a mini-pump and you won't need a big floor pump at home to top your tyres up)
    Puncture repair kit (incl. tyre levers) and spare inner tubes
    Saddle bag for the kit and tube
    Lights (front and rear) for those rainy days
    Mudguards
    Chain oil (no need to go for the fancy stuff; motor oil works perfectly well but is a bit messy, apply it sparingly, don't ladle it on!)

If you're planning on carrying out your own maintenance you can also consider:

Bearing grease for hubs
    Allen keys
    Cone spanners
    Cable snips

but obviously you don't need to get all this stuff straight away, just when you need it.

There's probably some other things I've forgotten, but someone else will be along soon with some more advice. Helmet is up to you (some wear them, some don't), likewise hi-vis and cycle-specific clothing. Proper clothing will make riding more comfortable but if all you're planning on doing is 4 miles each way then you don't need it.

There's also a Commuting section of this forum; you might get more replies in there.

Good luck!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jc0092
    thank you!! Very helpful for me as a beginner
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    DesWeller is 100 per cent right. There's not a lot of difference, in fact none in my view. The Carrera parts will be easier to replace though.