London Revolution - now 3 weeks away...

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Yes, only another 4 weeks of training time... so who's going to be there?

Longest ride I've done this year is 78miles, though I have ridden 100+ before in one day. Just hope the weather is going to improve...
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    The number of times the weather is changing in one hour at the moment I think the weather in four weeks could do anything. I'm sure it'll be fine.
    It sounds like a good ride. I might try it next year. I'm taking my son on the London Bridges ride in 3 weeks. 33 miles will be his longest ride. But he'll manage I'm sure.
    EKE, is your Mrs still doing the Revolution? How's her training going?
  • London Bridges Ride sounds good too, if not quite as long!

We have a work team of 4 doing LR. Recently our 'team jerseys' arrived from Owayo, paid for by our marketing department :).
  • veronese68
    Definitely not as long, and should include pub stops for the grown ups. :-)
    You'll have to post a before and after team photo when you do it. Good to get work jerseys done, doubt my lot would have done that.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It doesn't look like it. She instantly downgraded to one day out of the two and hasn't mentioned it since.
    On the plus side, she has been commuting by bike for the last two months.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It doesn't look like it. She instantly downgraded to one day out of the two and hasn't mentioned it since.
    Are you still doing it tho? Or were you leaving it to her?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Are you still doing it tho? Or were you leaving it to her?
    I was willing to tag along, but if she isn't doing it, I might not bother. On the other hand, think of the freedom!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Probably just as well. Good for her with the commute though. She might enjoy an easier ride like the bridges or the London Bikeathon is good. You get to see London in all it's glory, surrounded by other cyclists.
  • Only 3 weeks to go now...

Bit worried about one of our team... his training is 'a couple of hours round the park at the weekend' - and he doesn't mean Richmond Park either... and his 4mile commute to work is only when its not raining... i.e. not in the last week or so...

We have a 'training ride' as a group on May 6... I have a depressing feeling it might not be much of a training run.. the rest of the team are out with a club most weekends on 50 - 60 mile rides...

On the day, while I don't want to leave anyone behind, he may just have to find a slower group (of which no doubt there will be many) to ride with and meet up with us later...
  • veronese68
    Let him know now that you won't keep waiting for him. I had a similar problem on the L2B off road, we eventually went but it caused a bit of tension on the day. We are doing it again this year in a larger group and I have said right from the beginning I will not be waiting for every one. Some of the slower ones have argued that they'll keep up, I know this is not the case so I'm telling them now.
    I hope the weather improves soon.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Let him know now that you won't keep waiting for him. I had a similar problem on the L2B off road, we eventually went but it caused a bit of tension on the day. We are doing it again this year in a larger group and I have said right from the beginning I will not be waiting for every one. Some of the slower ones have argued that they'll keep up, I know this is not the case so I'm telling them now.
    I hope the weather improves soon.
    Yes, as team leader I'll have to make that call at some point.

I hope it improves... but I've heard its going to rain all through May :( I don't normally bother with wet weather gear on my commute other than overshoes (you can only get so wet in an hour, and you won't melt) and for club rides they're only 3 or 4 hours and I don't use the same gear for commuting so no problems there... But LR will require 8h+ in the saddle... I know I can always take a second set of kit in the overnight bag, and maybe I'll invest in a second pair of road shoes as well... but the thought of doing 100miles in the rain and being wet all day then doing the same the next day without some sort of protection is beginning to worry me... I may have to get some form of lightweight rain jacket...