Stinky

Supergoose
Supergoose Posts: 1,089
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
My Specialized BG Comp shoes have taken on an absolutely high hum.

Let me state, I do not have smelly feet! These shoes, new last year, are only used on my TT bike, so you can measure their use in tens of miles rather than hundreds/thousands.

They got a soaking recently and this unearthly pong has developed. Really pungent stinkathon going on, Ive tried odor eaters but its still there!

Wondered if anyone had encountered similar or could suggest a remedy to rid my disco slippers of this honk.

Thanks.
Rock 'n' Roule

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    in the Cheshire cat goody bag we were given a sample of a freshener spray specially for shoes and helmets - its from here

http://purpleharry.co.uk/
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Put them in a tightly tied/zip lock bag and put them overnight in the freezer.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Aggieboy wrote:

haha how did you know what I did with my testicles.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:

haha how did you know what I did with my testicles.

Because nobody could be born with bollocks that small and blue.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Sage leaves.

Yeah I know weird hippy shit, no chemicals, no spray, but sage plant leaves, torn and placed into shoes will remove the smell. Natural deodorant.

Can't believe I'm posting this :D

works on testicles too!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Supergoose
    Lets leave my testes out of it. :lol:

I will try anything, they (the shoes) are humming!

Cheers
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Aggieboy
    edited April 2012
    Supergoose wrote:
    Lets leave my testes out of it. :lol:

I will try anything, they (the shoes) are humming!

Cheers

What tune?

I told you, freeze'em.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose wrote:
    they (the shoes) are humming!

Apologies, Scottish venacular. Hummimg also means honking up here. :D
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Aggieboy
    Supergoose wrote:
    Supergoose wrote:
    they (the shoes) are humming!

Apologies, Scottish venacular. Hummimg also means honking up here. :D

Ahhhh, the same as in most of the country then. Does sarcastic mean the same up there as here?? :wink::lol:
  • Tea tree oil - get it in any health food shop as spray or oil - natural fungicide. Something probably started growing in there after they got soaked :shock:
  • PS - I lived most of my life in Glasgow so I feel I can ask, 'You're not dodging the soap are you?' :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,139
    if freezing doesn't work...

remove footbeds, give shoes+footbeds a good scrubbing in clean water, under the tap/shower, really soak them, you can add a bit of disinfectant but make sure it's all rinsed out properly

leave to dry - low low low low oven, 40 celcius for a few hours, or hang up somewhere breezy

sprinkle bicarbonate of soda inside shoes

put in plastic bag, seal, leave for 24 hours

knock out the bicarb
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Or,simply sprinkle with Bicarb of Soda,leave,shake out,use.Simple AND will not affect the glues used in the shoes like soaking will.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Supergoose
    The freezing didnt work.

Its really not down to smelly feet, these are the only shoes that smell, they are spotlessly clean and used rarely.

I've tipped a fair amount of bicarb into them hope that sorts it. :evil:

If not, tea tree oil is next.

Cheers for the pointers. :D
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I don't know about cycling shoes but whenever I had some really smelly trainers I'd just leave them outside in the fresh air for a couple of days, in the dry obviously but also not in direct sunlight...cool and breezy in other words. I can't think when it didn't work!
  • Supergoose
    Like the post above says either something biological is happening with a glue or some such.

Leaving them in the fresh air isn't cutting it!
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Hope you got all the Bicard of Soda out, or the next time it rains............
  • Supergoose
    Nooooooooooooooooooo! :lol:
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Sod all the above, buy a new pair! :mrgreen:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Quick google for natural remedy for smells resulted in one I'd heard of and a few I had not :
    A cut onion.
    Freshly ground coffe.
    I had really stinky cycling shoes also, similar to cat wee wee, really honking.
    I recall improving the smell - not sure if it went completely but I think I totally soaked the shoes to wash any stinky dirt out - I mean, what happens when you're riding on wet roads - shoes get soaked then ?!
    Use cool water, not boiling hot in case that does soften the glues.
    I'd even leave them to soak - not sure if some mild soap might be useful to add ? Bicarb soda might help but then you'd have to get that out of the shoes.
    Once water is clean then leave outside - hoping for some sunshing as I think that the UV rays can help kill batcteria. the insole might be the part, as it is slightly spongy, that is holding the moisture/smell - if that isn't a removable one then you could rip it out and buy a new one.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Soak them in water with a bit of bleach (not too much bleach), rinse thoroughly then make sure they dry out fully and promptly, I used to do this with honking MTB shoes.
    Mind you I'm going to try the sage leaf tip on mine tonight ...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    andyrr wrote:
    Quick google for natural remedy for smells resulted in one I'd heard of and a few I had not :
    A cut onion.
    Freshly ground coffe.
    I had really stinky cycling shoes also, similar to cat wee wee, really honking.

As I said before

Sage leaves.

Yeah I know weird hippy sh1t, no chemicals, no spray, but sage plant leaves, torn and placed into shoes will remove the smell. Natural deodorant.

This works, has been tested on several friend's smelly trainers.

Suppose it's a bit ambitious to think that everyone has sage plants growing in their garden.

Sage is antisweating agent, antibiotic, antifungal, astringent, antispasmodic, estrogenic, hypoglycemic, and tonic.

Add the leaves also to the bath as a natural deodorant or mix with onions for stuffing! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike