sram difference?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
i keep snapping my rear mech off and i was wondering, if i was to buy a cheap X5 rear mech, would i see loads of difference compared to my 2008 X9?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not really! Heavier of course, and will wear out quicker, but more metal in them so won't snap as easily.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    welshkev wrote:
    i keep snapping my rear mech off and i was wondering, if i was to buy a cheap X5 rear mech, would i see loads of difference compared to my 2008 X9?

you snapping the mech or mech hanger?

how do you keep snapping the mech? is the mech hanger ok? it might well be bent now too.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Rather than blame the mech try to lern to avoid doing whatever it is that keep snapping them ;-)
  • welshkev
    I've been snapping the hanger, but the last time it happened a big stick got stuck between the mech and the frame somehow bending the mech all out of shape!!

I wish I could stop doing it, it's getting expensive!!!!!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sounds nasty. How's your frame alignment to the hanger?
  • andrewjoseph
    what gear are you in for the top photo? chain looks like it's getting tight unless you are in big/big already. (except you seem to have different set up. twin ring and bash?).

you can get new hangers from betd ( http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ).
    --
  • Chunkers1980
    Think Kevin knows that, just needs to look where he's going more.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    what gear are you in for the top photo? chain looks like it's getting tight unless you are in big/big already. (except you seem to have different set up. twin ring and bash?)

Those are just photos of his bikes not of the problem and yes that's an SLX dual/bash crankset
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • andrewjoseph

Those are just photos of his bikes not of the problem...

I am aware of that, however having the chain that tight on that ring combination might be contributing to the problem.
    --
  • welshkev
    Think Kevin knows that, just needs to look where he's going more.

that sounds about right :lol:
    what gear are you in for the top photo? chain looks like it's getting tight unless you are in big/big already. (except you seem to have different set up. twin ring and bash?).

).

yes, big and big, but as it's just a 36t ring it's just standard cruising gear.

cheers for the replies guys, i think it'll be a cheap X5 mech next
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    This is why i'm almost amazed people will spend loads on rear mechs, get some good rocky terrain and there pretty much a disposable item :S
  • andrewjoseph
    welshkev wrote:

yes, big and big, but as it's just a 36t ring it's just standard cruising gear...

If you are regularly using that gear for long periods (cruising), with the chain that right, you may be putting serious twisting forces on the mech hanger and causing premature failure.

I sometimes use my 36t middle ring and 36t big cog, but only for short periods, and my chain is not as tight as that when I am in that combination.

i suggest putting some more links in the chain is you use it regularly but recommend trying a less stressful combination.

if your mech hanger is breaking due to rock strikes, there was a few 'mech saver' systems around a few years ago, meant to beef up the mech hanger.
    --
  • Chunkers1980
    Eh?

Do you know what chain line is?

Strong mech hangers are bad.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

yes, big and big, but as it's just a 36t ring it's just standard cruising gear...

If you are regularly using that gear for long periods (cruising), with the chain that right, you may be putting serious twisting forces on the mech hanger and causing premature failure.

I sometimes use my 36t middle ring and 36t big cog, but only for short periods, and my chain is not as tight as that when I am in that combination.

i suggest putting some more links in the chain is you use it regularly but recommend trying a less stressful combination.

if your mech hanger is breaking due to rock strikes, there was a few 'mech saver' systems around a few years ago, meant to beef up the mech hanger.

yeah, sorry mate, i think you're talking a bit of poo there. i've had this bike for nearly 3 and 1/2 years and i've broken 3 mech hangers in the last 6 months (along with breaking the mech itself last time) - never before. each time was through impact. i have used this set up for 3 and 1/2 years and haven't had any problems through stress failure......so what you're saying really is if i was running a single ring i shouldn't ride it in 36t front and top cog rear to cruise? :?
    Eh?

Do you know what chain line is?

Strong mech hangers are bad.

and what he said ^^^^^^^
  • felix.london

Those are just photos of his bikes not of the problem...

I am aware of that, however having the chain that tight on that ring combination might be contributing to the problem.

you what? Just pretend he has a single ring up front. Then what? - he's not allowed to use his lowest gear?

Don't think you've thought that one through. The chain tension looks fine to me.

Also the whole point of the mech hanger is for it to break on a heavy hit so the frame (or the mech itself) don't get damaged. You def don't want a 'beefy' mech hanger (imho)

Trek Session 8
  • andrewjoseph
    Yes, guys, NOW, you are giving all the info. From the earlier posts, it seemed that this was a longstanding problem, no mention was made of rock strikes.

you asked for views/answers on your problems without giving all the info.

Yes, the mech hanger is a sacrificial part.

I am aware of chain line, i still maintain that chain is too tight to be used for long periods.

I will leave you to answer your own questions.
    --
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

no, i asked this ^^^^^^^^^

you're the one who started going on about chain tension etc, i never asked about avoiding them snapping etc etc, just if i'd notice much difference in performance, i've been riding long enough not to listen to numpties like you.

i suggest you actually read the OP before spouting off :roll:
  • felix.london
    :lol:

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

With a twin ring set up? No way. Even with a triple it doesn't really twist the mech, the bottom run of chain is a lot less tensioned than the top. This is not the reason why this is happening.