Aero advanced in deeper wheels 24mm vs 34mm

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Currently have a set of American Classic Sprint 350's which are lovely and light at 1410grams and have a 24mm deep rim but was wondering if swapping them for a deeper rim like the American Classic Aero 420 that have 34mm deep rim would have a noticeable different in ability to hold a higher speed (or same speed with less effort) ?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Deep rims = very good idea.

Love mine. Really love them.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • JamesFree
    cjcp wrote:
    Deep rims = very good idea.

Love mine. Really love them.

How deep are yours ? ooo errr

Did you feel much difference when going to deeper rims ? I think for the very small weight penalty (100 grams) I will give them a go especially as I'm planning on getting some racing in and I guess after I get dropped out the pack the areo advantage will kick in :)
  • cjcp
    50mm.

Yes, they're fast. I'm definitely faster with them on. They certainly feel as if they accelerate faster, and as if it's easier to sustain the speed on the flat.

They're lovely to ride, too.

Go for it. Buy the speed. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1. Love my 50mm clinchers, even if they do tell me how little power I'm putting out
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Deep rims = aero = faster (more or less).

But...

34 mm is not that deep, and is not a big step up over 24mm. 45-50mm will give you a bump.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • JamesFree
    Right looks like I'm going to have to do it then :D

Might even keep my current set as a spare considering the likeliness of some form of crash early on in my racing career!
  • cjcp
    Fwiw, I wouldn't take mine anywhere near a race. Wouldn't risk it and not convinced you'll get any benefit if you're in a bunch. If you're in a breakaway, though...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • yuhang
    yuhang Posts: 6
    They certainly feel as if they accelerate faster, and as if it's easier to sustain the speed on the flat.
    g.gif
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    As you know I have 404's and they are 58mm, they're certainly better at holding speed, and its laughable how fast I go downhill on them. I'm heavy too, but I was going by people in the race last week like they had their brakes on, and at 45mph I think the saving they will be offering is large.

I haven't done an all out lap of the park on my Cervelo yet, but I would imagine they will be the main reason I'll be quicker.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    cjcp wrote:
    Fwiw, I wouldn't take mine anywhere near a race. Wouldn't risk it and not convinced you'll get any benefit if you're in a bunch. If you're in a breakaway, though...

They may not like it when you get blown around when you're in the cross-wind echelon either ;).

Worth bearing in mind that deeper rims can be tricker in cross-winds/gusts.

I know one or two Belgian commentators attribute some accidents downhill in the pro-scene to riders descending with very deep rims.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

They may not like it when you get blown around when you're in the cross-wind echelon either ;).

Worth bearing in mind that deeper rims can be tricker in cross-winds/gusts.

I know one or two Belgian commentators attribute some accidents downhill in the pro-scene to riders descending with very deep rims.

True, but you can try to anticipate that. But have used them down the Galibier, and the reverse way down the Glandon, and all was good. It was actually worse in RP last weekend than in the Alps. Hell, Vauxhall Bridge lights can be worse!

But they're awesome to ride. Very awesome. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."