chain's

baser
baser Posts: 127
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
A boring subject I know but,

I have tried 9 speed chains from all the big manufacturers and have settled on KMC X9 SL, they are currently light on the wallet and they are very light, perfect for the XC bike.

I have just bought although struggling to get delivered my first 10 speed (2x10) trail bike and would like to know what people have tried in this type of configuration. I have had a look at the KMC X10 SL, not so light on the wallet as the 9 and the YBN hollowpin, who I have never heard of. I have for the last 4 years built my bike as light as possible and I am unsure if these chains would take the beating a trail FS bike would give them.

The new bike is full SRAM X9 (2x10) so are there any compatibility minefields I need to beware of?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I tested a YBN hollowpin last year, worked fine - just be careful if using a chain splitter on it though.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I stopped using kmc hollowtech chains on my mtb pretty quick when I noticed the hollowed side plates really hang onto mud and crap. Cleaning them involves a tooth brush over every inner plate to get the stuff out! hollowed pins would be a nightmare! getting the hollow plates pins filled with mud would negate any lightweight advantage.

i swapped it onto my road bike and have a standard (i.e. no hollow bits) on there now, much easier to keep clean.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Currently running a wipperman connex chain. Just got back from the grittiest shittiest ride of the year in the Pennines and it didnt miss a change or get any chain suck. Reccomended but are pricey.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap