Giant Trance X2

Matutu
Matutu Posts: 20
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey Guys,

Just took my Trance X2 2011 out for its second outing since buying (new). Now going down a rough trail was great fun, then I had a small climb and I was standing on the bike powering up and I could feel on every weight change a clicking or something moving, stopped out check the bike out and found this blue cap was unscrewed...

2di4pzc.png

Now I got my tools out and tightened from the other side in this picture

123s27m.png

This uses a Allen Key tool, on the left side of the bike, however on the right side the cap has no screw fitting??? The hole is smooth and no Allen key locks etc.

So when you tighten the screw it just ends up spinning on the due to no counter screw, now i understand this fitting needs not to be tight as its a moving part, so does it need to be just finger tight? as this is all I can screw it up.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Ian-G
    Ian-G Posts: 16
    Have you tried a different size allen key?

If its the same as my 2011 Trance X Ltd, then then both sides do have an allen key fitting but the right side needs a smaller allen key.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matutu
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the reply, I tried what you said but that is not the case on my frame. The right side has a allen key slot, however the left side is just a smooth tube design no tool attachment at all, due to the bolt being hollow if you get low enough you can actually see right through to the other side....... here is the pic

z5tte.jpg

Also just for reference I covered the other side with half my finger just to show this is the other side of my bike

33vlwsz.jpg

Though when i use a allen key on the right side the left does turn also.

Any ideas guys?

Thankyou!
  • MontyDog
    MontyDog Posts: 14
    Hi, have you tried these circlip pliers?
    http://www.dtmfg.cn/product/14004-circlip-pliers.jpg
    Should fit in the hole you can see and let you tighten from the other side?
  • Matutu
    Would those help though? I can imagine those just scrapping the inside of the screw and doing more damage than good!
  • MontyDog
    Hi, not sure we are on the same track here. I meant that you use these pliers and insert them in the little holes (six in total in your picture) to hold the thing steady, while you tighten with the other side with the allen key?
    Regards,
    Kev.
  • Matutu
    Problems they are not holes just small indents, more for style than functionality I'm sure. You wouldnt be able to get a grip using them.

Any other ideas people?

Thanks
  • MontyDog
    Ah, ok, out of ideas then :-(
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Are you absolutely positively sure that there is no allen key on the other side? Try to use the long end of the key to see if catches anything?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Matutu
    386ka, Deffoo nothing in there at all. I can push small allen key right the way through to the other side of the bike!!! as you can see in the pictures :(
  • 386ka
    Odd, very odd. My Trance (though it is 2010) has allen key fittings on the both sides. Also, as Lan-g said, it should have fittings on both sides, and his is the 2011 model, and I think that it's exactly the same frame.

Why don't you go to your LBS and see what they say?
  • 386ka
    Odd, very odd. My Trance (though it is 2010) has allen key fittings on the both sides. Also, as Lan-g said, it should have fittings on both sides, and his is the 2011 model, and I think that it's exactly the same frame.

Why don't you go to your LBS and see what they say?
  • Matutu
    Just to put this tread to bed, took it back to the shop today and they were AMAZED that it was smooth and no allan key slot. They obviously built it there, then all of a sudden they "found" a spare screw and fitted that for me! :)

So all done now with allen key slots on both sides!