Excited, did my first sportive on Sunday.

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Exmoor Beauty, cant wait even with the weather as great as its predicted to be. Wish me luck.

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Good Luck, Enjoy, and Eat Lots, Don’t Fall Off.

Actually that’s quite a big thing...not Falling Off, no, I mean really, it hurts, a lot and is really really embarrassing so don’t do right.

Enjoy
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    the first of many - have a great ride
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Enjoy the ride, it is a lovely route (I haven't done the Beauty itself but know that area fairly well). Just take it easy in the first half as there will be lots of little lumps (like around Carhampton, Blue Anchor and Watchet) and it is easy to go off looking for the polka dot jersey...only to find that you run out of steam on the first real major climb up the Brendons to the first feed stop. Eat well and get a little rest by walking around a bit because there are then lots of undulations so, although you may think the worst is over, the continual interruptions to your rhythm may make the end seem a long way away...until you start the final descent :) .

The organisers do a grand job (I have done the Beast and enjoyed it a lot) so at least you won't encounter some of the fiascos like some other sportives i could mention.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you are going on our own try to get chatting to a few others in the start queue. If you like their pace you can stick together, at least for a while, and take it in turns at the front. Not only will you do less work, time will pass quicker because you can chat to a new friend. It is a social event as much as anything.

The main thing is to have fun.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    My first is this sunday too. Hopefully the weather plays nice :)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Yay, have fun chaps - the time will fly by, as it's your first you'll be riding on pure excitement for an hour or two - enjoy - and don't forget the eccles cakes.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Hope you win!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Enjoy! Have a great time... and make sure it's not about "your overall time"... so enjoy the laid on food (if there is any!)
    Simon
  • good luck. Did my first last weekend - drink lots of the right stuff and fuel up!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Well how'd it go?

We got pished on for 2hours then the sun came out enough to warm up the water in my shoes. Comforting :shock: 50mile hilly route done in 3hrs 15 ish. Pulling on some dry undercrackers after a lovely hot shower was the best feeling lol

Bring on the next one!
  • NITR8s
    Took 6 hours 3 mins to cover a really hilly route of 69 miles, I didnt have any waterproofs on and got soaking wet and felt like I wasnt gonna finnish cycling along the top of the moor into a gailforce wind with rain and hail. I couldnt feel my feet or hands. Managed to cycle through it thanks to soggy jelly babies and Fig rolls and glad I did. Had absoultly nothing left but managed to cycle up dunkery beacon(highest point in somerset) as ate about 8 jelly babies. Unfortunatly arrived at the top to find a poor sole under the front of a car, luckly there was an ambulence there and hope he is ok.

Anyway I loved the first 30 miles, but once the rain and wind started hated it and then recovered again after the rain and wind and enjoyed the finnish. Although, when I close my eyes all i can see is a steep hill waiting to be cycled up.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    My fig rolls turned to paste before I needed them :( bloody asda own brand! :lol:
  • NITR8s
    Thats why I went for Jacobs, held up exceptionally well.
  • p9uma
    NITR8s wrote:
    Thats why I went for Jacobs, held up exceptionally well.

I bet you were Jacobs'd by the time you got back home. Well done for finishing, it sounds like you went through soggy hell.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Bobbinogs
    NITR8s wrote:
    Unfortunately arrived at the top to find a poor soul under the front of a car, luckily there was an ambulance there and hope he is ok.

Not good news at all: http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Cyclist ... story.html
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:
    Unfortunately arrived at the top to find a poor soul under the front of a car, luckily there was an ambulance there and hope he is ok.

Not good news at all: http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Cyclist ... story.html

In no way wishing to trivialise a very serious situation, this reminds me why I'm cautious going downhill.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Bobbinogs
    What seems strange about that crash is that it is so bad that the poor chap gets stuck under the car for some time, has injuries so bad that he needs to be flown by helicopter to the nearest decent hospital...and yet the police didn't get to speak to the driver. We don't know who was at fault (and frankly that doesn't matter at the moment to the guy lying in hospital) but I am just surprised that the police seem to now be reliant on the driver coming forward.
  • Sportives are gay
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Care to justify this very interesting point of view?
  • p9uma
    Sportives are gay

Would you care to explain the logic underlying this conclusion?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • NITR8s
    Sportives are gay

xover_runner is in doubt about his sexuality.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,610
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    We don't know who was at fault (and frankly that doesn't matter at the moment to the guy lying in hospital) but I am just surprised that the police seem to now be reliant on the driver coming forward.
    Seems like the cyclist overshot a corner. http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Cyclist ... story.html

The cyclist is out of danger now, and the driver has contacted the police.
  • p9uma
    NITR8s wrote:
    Sportives are gay

xover_runner is in doubt about his sexuality.

Perhaps he meant that Sportives a fun, lively, happy, blithe, jolly, and colourfull
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Sportives are gay
    You've done a few then. You must be the guy to rides with no saddle wearing a Team Vaseline Jersey