Mallorca bike hire question - helmets?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
does anyone know if helmets are normally available for hire along with hired road bikes from these outfits round Port of Pollentia?
Only asking cos I'm having trouble fitting mine in my hand luggage limit.
ta

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Usually.. however the size you want might be with someone else of the one that does fit looks a myngr..maybe best give the shop a quick call/email before you go.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    just wear it/carry it/strap to the outside of your hand luggage?

if they question you, look offended and tell them its just like any other hat (cap, panama, cowboy, sombrero etc.)
  • thanks, I don't have a direct email for the hire shop as I booked the bike through the training camp outfit. Just emailed them but might be leaving for airport before I get a reply!
  • just wear it/carry it/strap to the outside of your hand luggage?

if they question you, look offended and tell them its just like any other hat (cap, panama, cowboy, sombrero etc.)

have you flown Ryanair!? Rather not risk it to be honest.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    FFs
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    If I actually wore a helmet I think I would rather use a dried up banana skin as a lid than assume that a hire company is going to have good condition lids that haven't been dropped numerous times.

I do have a helmet and if I was that bothered about wearing it then I think I could easily arrange my packing around it.
  • Thebigbee

Definitely the best suggestion - just wear it on the plane.

How can they object if they don't object to caps, hats or burkas?
  • fosst
    fosst Posts: 45
    I took an Arai Quantum on a plane as hand luggage (full-face crash helmet). Was definitely NOT letting that go as hold luggage. Got a couple of odd looks from security, and they wanted me to show them inside it. They weren't as bothered by the helmet as the bag full of circuit boards, sensor cables and test equipment I took through another time but that's different.
    I usually pack my (cycle) helmet in the hold luggage, making sure I fill it with stuff, to not waste the space it would take, and cover it with clothes, towel or whatever. Never been an issue...
  • Thebigbee
    fosst wrote:
    I took an Arai Quantum on a plane as hand luggage (full-face crash helmet). Was definitely NOT letting that go as hold luggage. Got a couple of odd looks from security, and they wanted me to show them inside it. They weren't as bothered by the helmet as the bag full of circuit boards, sensor cables and test equipment I took through another time but that's different.
    I usually pack my (cycle) helmet in the hold luggage, making sure I fill it with stuff, to not waste the space it would take, and cover it with clothes, towel or whatever. Never been an issue...

Get the impression that the OP is not paying for any additional luggage - hence the question.

Still struggle to see precisely how hard it can be to fit your own lid in when you are happy to use a rental companies one - seems bizarre to say the least...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Thebigbee wrote:

Definitely the best suggestion - just wear it on the plane.

How can they object if they don't object to caps, hats or burkas?

also to add to my earlier post -> you could claim wearing it makes you more comfortable as you have a fear of flying?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I usually manage to fit my helmet right in the top of my hand luggage. If you have small rucksack you can put it on top of other stuff (camera, whatever) so that the space inside the helmet is used. Then just do the zip up over the top of the helmet (sometimes a squeeze). It hardly weights anything so shouldn't significantly add to your weight allowance.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I didn't take my helmet when I hired a bike there last year. Although they had a fair few to choose from in the shop, I could only find one in my size that fit properly with working straps. I think most people must take their own, and wish I had as the one I borrowed was a little scuzzy! :? Didn't detract from the riding though, can't wait to go back...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I clipped my helmet round the strap of the record/courier bag I carried on the plane the other year.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    carry it on. Wear it pretend your really scared of flying, or put it on and gently rock backwards and forwards and they wil think your a headbanger. job done failing that I live here in mallorca and have a bell array in medium in white worn literally once your welcome to borrow it or buy it if you like it that much!
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    seriously if you cant fit it in then strap it to any suitable hand luggage you have. nobody says anything

theres one bike shop in port pollenca and about5/6 in alcudia but i never looked if any hire out lids.
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Carry it with you...

Otherwise its no problem at all to rent a helmet on Mallorca.
    Companies like Max Huerzeler definitely do it, smaller ones also but Max Huerzeler is the biggest one and very close to Pollenca.
  • delstron
    delstron Posts: 74
    We go each year and hire bikes from ProCycle Hire in the town centre. They have a rack full of lids, but as others have said they are usually grubby and infested with other peoples sweat and germs. Take your own, never had a problem with these just clipped to the handluggage.