swapping fsa omega Bb30 for an Ultegra chainset?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
i know you are probably bored of my gearing questions but I'm on a slightly different path now lol what set me off was realising my tiagra group set wasn't a full set and i have a fsa omega chainset. so...if i swap that out can i put a ultegra chain set on? mainly without having to change lots of other parts? i would be going for a 50/34 again so in theory the same size?? the only thing i have noticed is when looking at new chainsets there seems to be different sizes from 165 to 175 mm i do not know what this properly refers too.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• ianbar
    oh just realised the mm measurement must the crank length?!
    enigma esprit
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    yes, crank length. but why are you wanting to change? just to have shimano?

i would wait until you need to change before spending money out for little reason. And even then you can replace BB cups and chain rings before you need to change crank arms.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you've got a BB30 bottom bracket, you're going to need an adaptor to fit an Ultegra chainset. Somebody on here will give you the options and technical details.
  • ianbar
    yeah really it was just to have everything matched up really. its a BB30 bottom bracket, I'm looking for a relatively easy job first up but think i may leave this for now. the other thing is i will be buying a chain set of some sort for my commute/winter build so was going to improve some of the kit on my caad and move the parts off her to my build bike.it maybe that i just change the cassette first could do with a little extra help for a local sportive in a week or 2.
    enigma esprit
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You'll notice no performance difference between the FSA Omega kit and the Shimano Ultegra. There's a slight weight difference but if I were you I'd stick with what you've got.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}