Rockrider 8.1 or Voodoo Hoodoo

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I wonder if anyone can help. Three months ago I got back into cycling mainly to get fit, so I bought a Carrera Valour MTB which at the time fitted my needs as I thought I would only ever be cycling on cycle paths and the occasional blue route. The bike has been really good for this and I have been very impressed with it. Now however, I have been bitten by the bug and getting tempted by red routes for which I suspect the forks on the Carrera just wont hack it, they are bottom of the range Suntour XCT v4's, I also want something with remote lockout when pootling about on roads and cycle paths.

So I am thinking of biting the bullet and selling the Carrera and upgrading to a new bike with a budget up to £500. I have narrowed the search down to two bikes, the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 and the Voodoo Hoodoo, both great bikes and superbly specced for the money. I can get the Rockrider for £499 and the Hoodoo for £449 (after the 10% voucher discount), also the Rockrider comes with SPD pedals which I am not ready for yet so I need to factor in about £25 for flat pedals in the short term and SPD shoes long term so the Rockrider will effectively be about £125 more than the Hoodoo.

Benefits of the Rockrider are better components and forks (Rock shox Recon's) than the Hoodoo (Suntour Raidon X1's) but the frame isnt as good and the tyres and wheels seem to get a bit of a slating as well, and I must admit I prefer the look of the Hoodoo.

Would I notice the difference with the slightly poorer components and forks on the Hoodoo when on the trail, bearing in mind I am a beginner? Also, before the anti Halfords brigade start up, I have learnt quite a bit about maintaining bikes and dont mind doing the servicing myself so I would only be using them as an outlet to buy from.

Thanks
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• As a fellow beginner on a low end bike the first upgrade I made was tyres so maybe find out a little more about how bad the RR tyres really are else that's another cost to add to the budget.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Who says the Rockrider frame isnt as good? I think essentially everything is better on the Rockrider...

I have no beef with Halfords - I bought a Boardman Hybrid and love it - wouldnt ask them to service it though...

Recons are a HUGE step up - air forks so MUCH lighter and more controllable.

I wouldnt consider any other hardtail in that price range - the RR is on a par with bikes twice its price. It also looks much better in the flesh than the pics on the internet.

Its also unfair to add the price of flat pedals AND SPD shoes to the RR - to put it in line with the Voodoo you only need the pedals. You may even find that Decathlon with swap for flats for free. Also if you buy flats for £25 they will probably be better than the ones on the Voodoo.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't think those forks are air.
  • ElliesDad
    Thanks for the replies, I am only going by what I have learnt while trawling the internet, a lot of people say that the RR compromises the frame for better components. And I suppose to add in flats and shoes is a bit unfair as I will probably upgrade to SPD's in the future anyway.

I don't know why, I just prefer the Hoodoo, but I don't want to make a mistake if the RR's components will make a big difference.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I don't think those forks are air.

You're right, they're coil I believe
    New Rock Shox RECON Silver TK 100mm fork. Remote Lock out at the handlebar. Effective rebound adjustment and lockout with a half turn of the lever.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My bad - still a massive step up though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    a lot of people say that the RR compromises the frame for better components

Those people are wrong, is a good frame made by Merida - is double butted, fairly light and decent quality.
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    I was in the same situation as you a few days ago. After doing much trawling the web and asking loads of experienced riders what they would go for, all said the RR and that is what I went for.

If your worried about the pedals, the guy from Decathlon recommended a pair for £11.99, which I got as I didn't want to wait any longer, they were fitted for free as well. Also the bike does looks alot better in the flesh.

I've been out on it twice, only short rides in the wet and have to say it rides great and the pedals have a good grip and haven't slipped. I am very happy with it, Its a great ride, almost as good as the wife :D
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • ElliesDad
    Looks like the Rockrider is the one to go for then, hopefully going to try them both for fit and feel over the next week.

What are the Rockriders tyres like on the trail for grip, are they up to the job?
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    Also Decathlon gives you a 5 year warranty on the frame and 2years on all other parts and apparent honor it very well and the customer service is second to none!

I cant really comment on the tyrers, as ive not been out on a proper trail yet, just road and local park!
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • ElliesDad
    Went to have a look at the Hoodoo and the Rockrider today.

I wasnt really impressed with the Rockrider to be honest, the components were (as expected) very very good but I just didnt take to the bike and I thought the frame was awful aesthetically with a really ugly welded joint where the frame meets the handlebars! It didnt really fit me very well either, although I must say the assistant was very patient while I asked for the seat etc to be tweaked in between numerous trips around the store on it. So I think I can rule it out.

The Hoodoo felt alot better, but while I was in Halfords I noticed the Boardman Comp HT at £649 (reduced from £749) and with the online voucher this would come in at £584. Beautiful frame and pretty good components, last years model come out very highly rated although the forks for this years model have been downgraded from Rock shox Recon's to Suntour Epicons.

After speaking to the wife (and finding that a bit more money has come our way today) I can increase the budget, does anyone else have any more suggestions to rival the Boardman?
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Excellent bike. Buy it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    Cr3do wrote:
    Its a great ride, almost as good as the wife :D

I agree, a fantastic ride, I just need to try the Rockrider now to compare.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ElliesDad wrote:
    while I was in Halfords I noticed the Boardman Comp HT at £649 (reduced from £749) and with the online voucher this would come in at £584. Beautiful frame and pretty good components, last years model come out very highly rated although the forks for this years model have been downgraded from Rock shox Recon's to Suntour Epicons.
    don't write off the epicons, they are a very good fork, this years boardman comp is basically last years fury spec wise, i think it would be very hard to beat for that price
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    Friend did the downhill at Cwmcarn on a Rockrider hardtail last week. Obviously not as quick as the guys on full on DH bikes but he lived and had fun. Very competent bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    Been into Halfords this morning and tried the Boardman Comp HT, it fitted like a glove and felt so natural. So looks like that is the one to go for, looking like a steal if I can get it for £584 with the online code!

Just one more question though, also looked at the Boardman Team HT which i can get for £764. For the extra £200 would I see enough benefit from the Rockshox Recons (over Suntour Epicon) and X7 mechs (over X5)? Its a 2x10 as opposed to a 3x9 as well which doesnt really bother me as the ratios are pretty near top and bottom. The Team is also lighter.

Many thanks for all the replies.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take the Epicon over the Recon - I think the Comp is the better value.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ElliesDad wrote:
    with a really ugly welded joint where the frame meets the handlebars!
    The Frame met the handlebars.......you sure?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    ElliesDad wrote:
    Stiffens up the front end.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, guarenteed no tank slappers!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad wrote:

Sorry, where it meets the head set on the joint between the top tube and the down tube.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ElliesDad wrote:
    ElliesDad wrote:

Sorry, where it meets the head set on the joint between the top tube and the down tube.
    they know what you meant, welcome to the humour of the forum :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011