Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra / Trek 2.1 105

Gizmo_
Gizmo_ Posts: 558
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi folks

Picking up my first proper road bike soon via ride2work and the shortlist is the Cannondale and the Trek above: based on my four requirements:
a) coming from Evans
b) slipping under the £1k line (though I can happily spend the gap between the CAAD8 and the £1k on a lock/lights/stuff).
c) being a 'road' bike, not a CX (I already have a pretty fast hybrid)
d) not being black (for visibility, plus I already have a black one).

Does anyone have any experience of either of these two? I've test ridden the Cannondale and liked it; looking at the geometry the Trek is a little bit lower, and it has the 105 gearing. Do you think there is any great difference in use or reliability between Tiagra and 105?
Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I've test ridden the Cannondale and liked it; THE END
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Test ride the Trek then decide what is best.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    letap73 wrote:

+1 this. I ride Trek and love it. Great riding position and comfortable for 100 mile Sportives. All depends on the individual however and what fits you. Both bikes on your short list are great £1k bikes so imperative you try them both to make an informed decision that you will be happy with. Enjoy your cycling whatever you decide.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    letap73 wrote:
    That's basically it I think.

I've spent some time looking for horror stories about either and I can't find any.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Cannondale simply because I've ridden it and I can buy tyres which would match the green stripes on the frame :lol:
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The Caad8 is by far the better frame ... I'd buy that and get a set of askiums as soon as I could afford it ...
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The Caad8 is by far the better frame ... I'd buy that and get a set of askiums as soon as I could afford it ...

I genuinely would be interested to know how the Caad 8 is a far better frame than the Trek. I have test ridden the Caad and the Trek, but couldn't really differentiate between the two in terms of frame quality.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    letap73 wrote:

I genuinely would be interested to know how the Caad 8 is a far better frame than the Trek. I have test ridden the Caad and the Trek, but couldn't really differentiate between the two in terms of frame quality.

Cannondale continue to push the boundaries of alu bike design ... Trek just make alu bikes to sell to people that can't afford carbon ones (which is why they can offer 105 on a £1k bike in 2012) ...
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    letap73 wrote:

Cannondale continue to push the boundaries of alu bike design ... Trek just make alu bikes to sell to people that can't afford carbon ones (which is why they can offer 105 on a £1k bike in 2012) ...

Just opinion and not strictly fact that someone should make a bike purchase on. True Cannondale are leaders in Aluminium bike design and development however equally Trek frame design regardless of material (carbon and alloy) is race proven and stands the test of modern times. I stand by that either bike suits the OP purpose and it really comes down to bike fit and feel that only the OP can determine with a test ride.

Also tyres in most popular and decent makes offer colour options to match the bike so don't feel you are stuck to green :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4