Horses

fat_cat
fat_cat Posts: 566
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I'm a relatively new convert to road biking, having been riding a year or so, but must be getting enthusiatic as I found myself out in the pouring rain yesterday. My question relates to the best way of approaching horses when out on a ride.

I got a bit of a fright a couple of months ago when approaching a couple of ladies on horseback from behind. Another guy on a bike sped past me and the horses and startled one of them. By this time he was off up the road like a scolded cat, whilst the startled horse gave me the evil eye, causing me to stop and frankly brick it! (thankfully I was wearing Ag2R team shorts at the time, although I could have sworn they were plain black when I put them on!)

I have always given the horse a wide birth, slowed down and tried to make sure the rider knew I was coming (good morning normally does the trick), but was wondering what others do? What the best plan of action is to avoid being trampled to death by 2 tonnes of horse?

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Search is your friend. "Horses"
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    horses are stupid, manure-filled, prey animals, their natural reaction is to rear/panic/bolt when something surprises them, sabre toothed tiger, wolf, sound, cyclist, twig snapping etc.

a while back i was approacing two police horses coming the other way and on the other side of a junction, so they could see me, i stopped until a car passed, then as i clipped back in both horses started, they were still 15-20 metres away, so even the presumably hardened police horses are no better, police riders had the cheek to give me a dirty look

just call out a "hello i'm coming past" or something (not too loud) so that horses/riders know there's someone coming from behind, if there's two/more of you have a chat

i usually wait for no oncoming traffic and pass on the far side of the road, and do it slow, alternatively, if a car is also passing from behind then tuck behind it and take advantage of its engine noise
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I think what you normally do is sufficient, I normally slow down, go out wide and shout "coming through". You can't help what other cyclists might do if they're not in your group so as long as you do all you can to notify horse riders of your presence you'll be ok.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    just warn them you're about to overtake, that's all really. If the animal then panics when you do, it wasn't your fault cos you warned them.
  • Warn them verbally (Cyclist behind you) , slow down and try and avoid allowing the cassette to whirr to avoid spooking the horses.

And say hello, and thanks
  • Warn them verbally (Cyclist behind you) , slow down and try and avoid allowing the cassette to whirr to avoid spooking the horses.

And say hello, and thanks
    This.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I find that shouting 'jeezus christ there's a ferkin orse in the way' in a very loud high pitched panicy voice helps to attract the attention of the horse riders, esp if accompanied by a lot of arm waving & squealing brakes + skidding rear wheel.

Once alongside a cheery smile, wave & a heartfelt thank you is enough to allow you to create clear distance.
  • Stop, turn around and choose another route, scary animals :)

Have a chat, but as the others say, quietly and pass at distance.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I just shout "GET OUT MY WAY YOU CARROT MUNCHING MUPPET" and cycle past really close whilst telling them that I pay my road tax AND insurance.

Horse riders like that.

eh? what?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Get that big lump out of the road, and take the horse with you
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never really had a problem with them.

Amazed that police horses were spooked even when they saw you !

If youre overtaking them I always let the riders know I'm there and pass wide.
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    When I approach a horse and its rider I immediateley shout as loud as I can, "Fire in the hole"!

That usually gets the toothy hafwits out the way. And the horses.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...But once you have overtaken them, slow down and start to weave back and forth across the road in front of them a lot of horses like bicycles and will start to follow, annoying the heck out of the rider. :D

Mrs T used to ride a horse behind me on my bike and would drop the reins as she had no control as the horse just followed me.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    or...

chop them up with an axe and throw them over into the neighbour's garden!

Stole this idea from yossie
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    @sungod from 15-20 metres (45-60 feet) away you clipped in and startled 2 animals specifically selected for their temperament & trained from a young age not to panic in the middle of thousands of football fans, noisy public processions and a full blown riot situation?

How loud are your cleats? or how good is your imagination?

OP: I see a few horses on my route, it sounds like you're on the right track, I go for good clear early communication, check the rider(s) acknowledge it and give them a wide berth. I do tend to find horse riders in groups or 2 abreast quite arrogant / unwilling to be helpful and make it easy for a quick pass.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. Trust me when I say the sight of me in lycra is enough to startle anything!
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Sunday past I had an oncomming horse start dancing ~100m on up the road, it'd calmed by the time I passed but the matronly rider informed me, tongue-in-cheek, that I clearly didn't know how scary I looked (the missus has told me often enough) - her "roll eyes" tone suggesting she was weary of her horse's oh-so predictable antics.

It's nice to know that some horse riders take a balanced view on the causes of their mount's misbehaviour re bikes...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    Just stay behind and enjoy the view of a nice jodphur clad, whip yielding, booted rider (assuming they are the gender of your choice). It saves going to that club and paying for the privilege ;)
  • Our cycling club recently received this advice from a horse rider:

"Please can I request that you not only remind your members of general road etiquette, but also of common sense, every day politeness and the need to keep themselve and other road users safe! Horses, no matter how steady they look, can be nervous creatures. They react fast and this reaction frequently includes kicking out their hind legs at whatever has scared them. Often the first awareness a horse has of a cyclist is a low 'swooshing' noise that gets louder and faster in seconds, with the cyclist then shooting past the horse, too close - the horse will try to escape the 'scary' noise (with a cyclist coming down behind a horse, a horse has no sight of it and can only hear the noise) and kick out all at the same time, which potentially injures itself, the rider and the cyclist, not to mention causing a hazard for other road users.

Please remind your members that when coming upon them the correct way to proceed is:

- coming upon a horse from behind and needing to overtake:
    - slow down whilst you are still a good distance (AT LEAST a car's length) from the horse
    - shout out to the rider that you are there and are coming past
    - wait for the rider to acknowledge you and pay attention if they ask you to wait/watch out for their horse
    - proceed past at a steady (NOT FAST) pace, giving the horse a wide berth
    - do not cut directly infront of the horse but leave at least a car's length before rejoining that side of the road.

- coming upon a horse from the front (opposite direction) and needing to go past:
    - slow down in good time (AT LEAST a car's length) and ride single file
    - acknowledge the rider and pay attention if they ask you to wait/watch out for their horse
    - proceed past at a steady (NOT FAST) pace, giving the horse a wide berth

Most horses are less scared if they SEE a cyclist rather than just hearing the noise of the bike but seeing a group of cyclists riding fast 2-3 abreast in a long line is enough to spook any horse and as I have mentioned above, cyclists are as vulnerable as the horse and rider when a horse reacts to being scared.”

That seems like a full and complete answer to your question :D
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...