Shimano Cranks on Marin Wolf Ridge?

roboff94
roboff94 Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, so my FSA BB has gone on my 08 Marin Wolf Ridge. Its a BB-7550 Mega Exo Quad BB, so its twice as wide as a normal one, so the cranks can clear the swingarm. As my cranks arnt brilliant anyway, im planning on buying a new crankset, so i get the BB and new chainrings aswell. Question is, will a Shimano BB, which has normal width cups allow my crank arms to clear my swing arm? Anyone have any experience with it?

Cheers Guys :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    width is set by the BB shell size. 68/73mm or 83mm you just get cranks to suite.

yours is just standard and any crankset should fit.

Look at shimano SLX or Deore.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • roboff94
    But because my old BB has two bearings on each side, will a new BB that only has one still give me the clearence with new cranks?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Eh?
  • roboff94
    Ive got this on now

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28288

So because it has a double row of bearings in each side, it sticks out twice as much from the frame. If i replace it with a Shimano one that one has one bearing per side, it wont stick out as much, so will my cranks still clear the frame? I know they'll fit in the frame, but will i be able to turn them around? Sorry if im making it sound weird haha
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, as Shimano one use spacers to correct this and make it adjust to all types and widths.
  • roboff94
    Ahhreyt good stuff, i'll get it all ordered then

Thanks alot guys :)