Shark attack...

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,098
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Although tragic, humans will insist on doing silly things in shark infested waters.
Thats up for some (not a lot) of debate but the commentary is directed towards the very very stupid (yanks I guess). Enjoy:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/champion-bodyb ... 08406.html
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Whats this got to do with 'Yanks'?
    The guy was South African surfing off the coast of South Africa. Did you read the report before posting?
    How was this fellow really silly? Shark attacks are quite rare. I would guess correctly that you have more chance of crashing your MTB and killing yourself that a surfer has the chance of being killed by a shark.
    If your trying to be clever I think you've embarassed yourself.. :oops:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    al2098 wrote:
    The guy was South African surfing off the coast of South Africa. Did you read the report before posting?

The reporter was American though, and spoke veeeeerrrryyyyy slowly, as if it an audience of idiots.
    al2098 wrote:
    How was this fellow really silly? Shark attacks are quite rare. I would guess correctly that you have more chance of crashing your MTB and killing yourself that a surfer has the chance of being killed by a shark.
    If your trying to be clever I think you've embarassed yourself.. :oops:

I was going to say that. Beat me to it.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    The reporter was American though, and spoke veeeeerrrryyyyy slowly, as if it an audience of idiots
    Her voice was extreeeemely annoying. :x
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    johnfinch wrote:
    al2098 wrote:

The reporter was American though, and spoke veeeeerrrryyyyy slowly, as if it an audience of idiots.

His report was quite clearly aimed at the inhabitants of everyone in the shyt towns thread. And to those people in the rest of Britain (note that the Great dropped off years ago) that we spend the rest of our time deriding. Oh, but that's not as "funny" as "mocking" the US and their culture, films, music, technology, science, etc. Anyone here use the internet and ride a Trek/Spesh etc? Damn that Elvis and his rock and roll. Last time I watch a Hollywood movie. Or wear jeans.

Anti US comedy, eh - theres nothing quite like it. And that was nothing like it at all.
  • finchy
    Yossie wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    al2098 wrote:

His report was quite clearly aimed at the inhabitants of everyone in the shyt towns thread. And to those people in the rest of Britain (note that the Great dropped off years ago) that we spend the rest of our time deriding. Oh, but that's not as "funny" as "mocking" the US and their culture, films, music, technology, science, etc. Anyone here use the internet and ride a Trek/Spesh etc? Damn that Elvis and his rock and roll. Last time I watch a Hollywood movie. Or wear jeans.

Anti US comedy, eh - theres nothing quite like it. And that was nothing like it at all.

:?

I was just explaining to al2098 what this had to do with the Americans.
  • Yossie
    johnfinch wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    al2098 wrote:

:?

I was just explaining to al2098 what this had to do with the Americans.

So not a lot at all then?
  • finchy
    Start from the top again - pinarello001 made the comment about stupid Yanks.

al2098 asked what this had to do with Americans, seeing as it happened to a South African in South Africa.

I then explained that pinarello001's remarks about stupid Yanks concerned the journalist, not the victim of the shark attack.

And that is that.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Wasn't it a Great Brit that invented the internet anyway, Mr Berners-Lee ?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    But America is shite and generally Americans are awfully rude people.
  • Yossie
    viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12845899

Ipso facto, QED.

Thanks for coming. Byeeeee.
  • pinno
    Nuff said - it was the commentary I was refering to. If you're still not convinced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmEp97yQ ... detailpage

Scary baskets.
  • pinno
    Yes, you are far more likely to get killed by malaria or on the road or by some other means statistically.
    When I refer to silly humans, are we supposed to feel sympathy towards people who put their lives at risk un-necessarily?

It was only a humorous post. If we can't bash yanks then we do what has happened here - turn on ourselves. Funny how some things escalate (Re.: Bhima thread) into personal attacks which is not funny. I have'nt aimed my slant on any individual.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    When I refer to silly humans, are we supposed to feel sympathy towards people who put their lives at risk un-necessarily?

A bit harsh, the bloke was minding his own business, just swimming and body boarding with some mates. Not as if he was pouring offal and blood into the water in an attempt to attract sharks. Maybe swimming should now be considered a dangerous pastime.

FWIW I've swum and boarded along that coast many times (family have a house at Hermanus) and this attack won't stop me doing it again. He was unlucky.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Well if people are going to be chumming waters to attract sharks for a documentary and not tell surfers who regularly surf that area what do you think is going to happen?
    The boarder here is not the stupid one. He is the victim though.
    The use of stereotypes usually tells you more about the user than the subject.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Yes, you are far more likely to get killed by malaria or on the road or by some other means statistically.
    When I refer to silly humans, are we supposed to feel sympathy towards people who put their lives at risk un-necessarily? It was only a humorous post. If we can't bash yanks then we do what has happened here - turn on ourselves. Funny how some things escalate (Re.: Bhima thread) into personal attacks which is not funny. I have'nt aimed my slant on any individual.

What, you mean like cyclists ?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • pinno
    Yeah, the cyclists. Watch out Politically Correct Sharks lurking. I think the guy is unlucky. But we are in their territory.
    Be careful - If there is the slightest and faintest hint of: stereotyping, sexism, racism, bigotry, xenophobia, duck 'cos some silly bugger is going to act all uppity and holier-than-thou.
    The PC bunch are the silly sisters of 'Elf 'n' safety (the gestapo in white suits and clip boards) making life hell for the rest of us. I refuse to be muffled as I am entitled to an opinion and if you don't like it, bah hoo and It does not mean that people have to start chucking personal insults around. Britain seems to be suffering collective PM fecking T and I thought cyclists would be above that. I am not treading on egg shells in Cake Stop because it is generally a humorous forum not to be taken seriously. Rant over. If i've insulted anyone - bollox anyway I make no firkin apologies.