Front and back tyre choices

SupraMel
SupraMel Posts: 53
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I am looking for some half decent tyres to replace my crappy Kenda's that came with my bike.
I ride in just about all conditions and I want something that will cut through mud but not wear down too fast on my commute over roads.

My other half went for a Conti Vertical on the front and a Conti Gravity on the back and that does seem quite successful although the Gravity doesn't shed the mud too well. I was thinking of going for the same on the front and a Rubber Queen 2.2 on the back as that looks like it would lose the mud faster and be a bit more comfy too!

What are your thoughts? Am I completely off track for where I ride or is this a good combo? Also are the Conti's going to be much heavier as I'm learning to bunny hop and I don't want to add too much weight on the back if I can help it.

Thanks
Mel

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Have a quick search, there have been a few threads on this lately.

FWIW - I chose Conti Explorers last week. I run Kenda Small Block 8's when it's drier/harder.

BJB
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Personal preference, pure and simple.

As an all round combo Nobby Nics/Racing Ralphs/one of each would get my nod.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    the OH uses Nobby Nics and is happy with them, I use Maxxis High Rollers on my big bouncer and Bont Mud X on the HD. don't use them much on the road so can't comment there and I live in soggy boggy central Scotland so need knobly tyres most of the year.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    njee20 wrote:

+1. Did most of last season on this combo with no issues at all (although I'm riding in very dry & loose conditions)

This year I'm gonna give the Conti BC Mountain King II or BC Rubber Queens a go, just for a change
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • SupraMel
    SupraMel Posts: 53
    njee20 wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

This may sound daft but which one on the front and which on the back for these two or does that not matter?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Nic on the front as it has more grip, ralph on the back