A load of fanny...

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
haha knew that would get your attention. Levon Helm sadly lost his fight with cancer - who he - he was in the band - who they -why dems were Bob Dylans backing band - and they did this - Weight, a bvilliant song by any yardstick.

I have an italian friend who once tried to explain what she thought the lyrics meant - she began by saying - "Do you know what a load of fanny means?"

and now sadly no more Ham :(
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...Take a load for free
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    As featured in Easy Rider
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    and put load right on meeeeeee...
  • A real loss to music.

Great version of The Weight by the Band and the Staples on the Last Waltz album.

The Last Waltz film one of the best concert films ever made, IMHO.

Try the book This Wheel's On Fire, written by Levon about his life with the Band.

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    I pulled into Nazareth, I was feelin' about half past dead...
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    That Danko / Helm rhythm section... Just wow.

And that second Band album is something really, really special.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Sad news indeed. Nice to see Robbie Robertson got to spend some time with Levon before he departed to the big gig in the sky.

Love 'The Band' and I've loved 'The Weight' forever. I introduced Mrs Aggie to 'The Band' and she also absolutely loves the track. Our young daughter now shares our appreciation of it as well.
    One of our special memories is of sitting at a beach bar on Big Buddah beach on Koh Samui where they have a Sunday jam session. This 'dude' dressed in jeans, white shirt with a trilby perched on the back of his head à la RR bowls up, joins the others, plugs in his guitar and belts out a stonkingly brilliant version of it. It just made everything perfect for some reason. Ahhhh memories :D

Garth Hudson put this track he's on up on his website a few days ago for Levon - boy does that singer feel the emotion of this song!

Just played myself this favourite this and got all emoshh' :(

Re OP - To be fair he did like a bit of fannie :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Bert Weedon's down.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Saw The Last Waltz at school film society 30 years ago, and have loved The Band ever since.

One of the best things I learned at school :)

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    RIP Levon Helm, The Band were brilliant, and Bert Weedon (play in a day my ar$e :wink: )
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    R.I.P a cool dude
  • gasman_dave
    gasman_dave Posts: 129
    Listening to The Band and Dylan on the Basement Tapes and their 2nd album just shows what a remarkable band they were. Great voice and drummer and he contributed to some of my favourite bits of vinyl.
    I hope this actually gets people to listen to their music. The musicality of someone like Garth Hudson is lost to so many I think, but as my kids tell me, I'm just an old fart.

RIP Levon. You were part of one of the best bands ever.

Dave
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I don't thinl Levon Helm played on the Last Waltz film. He'd quit earlier when Dylan was getting flack for going electric
  • proto wrote:
    I don't thinl Levon Helm played on the Last Waltz film. He'd quit earlier when Dylan was getting flack for going electric

I think you're wrong, and Wikipedia seems to agree with me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_W ... 8_album%29