New forks - GT Zaskar LE

oneyedmike
oneyedmike Posts: 22
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
I have been meaning to bring back my GT to its former glory for a little while - having done the cleaning up and replacing bits -now the biggest problem - the original forks are shot.

It is a V brake - obviously - so my options now seem to be
Referb old forks (they are 80mm bombers) £ ????? LBS were doubtful as to whether they could source new coil spring
Buy new V brake forks choices so far that I've seen are RS Recon Gold TK (solo air with pop-lock £179.99); Suntour XCR (or similar) that are coil with lock out and I can get for about £60

Or replace the front wheel - get disc forks! No idea of £ for reasonable kit?

I also have a full sus cannondale that I use - so use for the GT will be over a mixed bag of terrain - trails - some rocks etc but no huge drop offs.

Has anyone been in similar position? Or anyone got experience of the RS or Suntour forks?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why would you need to change the coils?

how much had they changed in length?

or what is the fork and what is the spring free length now?

I would just give them a good service (and this is without knowing anything other than they are old Marzocchis).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I had them serviced following an oil leak a couple of years ago - they were fine for a while but there's no resistance there now - pretty much bottom out going over a cobble!
    Maybe it was the easy answer from lbs to replace - but they do have a good rep
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Get the recons! The V brake bosses screw off if you decide you want to convert to disc at a later stage (as there's a disc mount as well) I don't see any point in spending money on low end suntours ... they're what I replaced with the recon golds. Difference of night and day ....
  • Thanks Greer- they're on offer at on one so bargain too! As good as ordered! :P
  • Greer_
    just remember you'll need a shock pump to set them up and also a star nut for the steerer
  • No worries-got couple of star nuts&pump although it may be good timing as my rs revelations on my other bike might have to go back for a check up! Odd stress like scratches on top of forks!
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    @ One Eyed Mike - I am looking for the same sort of forks, where did you source yours from? all I can find in either RS Recon or RS XC are disk brake compatible.

I even ordered some XC's from Chain Reaction after confirming that they would be suitable for v-brakes, then when I received them they were black (not white as ordered) and had no provision for v-brakes at all!

Thanks

Neil
  • Greer_
    oneyedmike wrote:
    No worries-got couple of star nuts&pump although it may be good timing as my rs revelations on my other bike might have to go back for a check up! Odd stress like scratches on top of forks!

You sure that isn't just cable rub?
  • Greer_
    DubaiNeil wrote:
    @ One Eyed Mike - I am looking for the same sort of forks, where did you source yours from? all I can find in either RS Recon or RS XC are disk brake compatible.

I even ordered some XC's from Chain Reaction after confirming that they would be suitable for v-brakes, then when I received them they were black (not white as ordered) and had no provision for v-brakes at all!

Thanks

Neil

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... brake.html for £200. On-one were doing them cheaper but they've sold out by the looks of it. I really wouldn't recommend an XC28, it's a very basic, basic, basic entry level fork. You will be far better saving
    up the extra for the recon or even a reba which can be bought dead cheap at the moment viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12856740 - I'm totally raging this deal wasn't on when I bought my recons!! :evil:
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    oneyedmike wrote:
    No worries-got couple of star nuts&pump although it may be good timing as my rs revelations on my other bike might have to go back for a check up! Odd stress like scratches on top of forks!

Are they are around the screw on cap for the valve?
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    @ Greer_ - thanks for the response, budget not really an issue (within reason) - at least on the basis that this is to upgrade/refurbish a 12 year old GT, so will still be cheaper than a whole new bike!

The Reba's look great, but unless I am missing something, they are disk mount only?

The XC's I ordered were the 32's, and the ones I received appeared perfectly serviceable except for the fact that they wouldn't work!

Merlin don't list the UAE on their country list, although they do have my friendly neighbors Saudi Arabia...
  • Greer_
    DubaiNeil wrote:
    @ Greer_ - thanks for the response, budget not really an issue (within reason) - at least on the basis that this is to upgrade/refurbish a 12 year old GT, so will still be cheaper than a whole new bike!

The Reba's look great, but unless I am missing something, they are disk mount only?

The XC's I ordered were the 32's, and the ones I received appeared perfectly serviceable except for the fact that they wouldn't work!

Merlin don't list the UAE on their country list, although they do have my friendly neighbors Saudi Arabia...

You're right - disc only :? Drop them an email, they should get back to you soon enough.