Addison Lee: It's okay to run over grannies

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Origamist wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Maybe. In a previous job I shared an office with the person who handled the Addison Lee account, and I'm certain this would have been a factor when it came up for renewal. But then I'm a busybody like that.

For sure, I'm the same. But most people don't / won't care.

In 6 months time when the renewal is up few people will even remember this, let alone do anything about it.

Possibly, but contractually speaking, if a supplier is brazenly advertising the fact that their company is breaking the law, it makes it easier (depending on the clauses of course) for a corporate customer to terminate a short or long standing relationship before the renewal date.

This is how I sold it to my colleagues. I'm not holding my breath, but it's worth a try.

Yeah.

My boss laughed and said they should run over more cyclists, so.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    notsoblue wrote:
    Maybe. In a previous job I shared an office with the person who handled the Addison Lee account, and I'm certain this would have been a factor when it came up for renewal. But then I'm a busybody like that.

In 6 months time when the renewal is up few people will even remember this, let alone do anything about it.

indeed, appart from anything cyclists are still a small % of traffic numbers, even down the hallowed proving grounds of the embankment, off peak and you might see one maybe 2 other cyclists, I'm sure on some roads at rush hour you'll get big numbers But it doesn't seem to be spread ie all the cyclists tend to head for simular roads.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Origamist wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Possibly, but contractually speaking, if a supplier is brazenly advertising the fact that their company is breaking the law, it makes it easier (depending on the clauses of course) for a corporate customer to terminate a short or long standing relationship before the renewal date.

This is how I sold it to my colleagues. I'm not holding my breath, but it's worth a try.

Yeah.

What with your temper, I'm surprised you didn't headbutt them, Rick...
  • rick_chasey
    Origamist wrote:

Me too.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Origamist wrote:
    Yeah, right in the shin.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Origamist
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    Yeah, right in the shin.

That's a "low blow", EKE... :wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    notsoblue wrote:

indeed, appart from anything cyclists are still a small % of traffic numbers, even down the hallowed proving grounds of the embankment, off peak and you might see one maybe 2 other cyclists, I'm sure on some roads at rush hour you'll get big numbers But it doesn't seem to be spread ie all the cyclists tend to head for simular roads.

I don't think the commuter cycle traffic should be underestimated though, cyclists often outnumber motorists stopped at many junctions on my route home (which is mostly red route). I'd say they we were the biggest single group of road users during rush hour. Even when the weather is bad. We're pretty visible now, and not in the minority (on my route at least). Another factor is that the demographic is increasingly one that has decision making influence.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Origamist wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Yeah.

Dude, if you're going to get into politics, you're going to have to tailor to your audience more. You need to spin it as "these jokers are getting in front of you on the way home" or something that directly affects them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Dude, if you're going to get into politics, you're going to have to tailor to your audience more. You need to spin it as "these jokers are getting in front of you on the way home" or something that directly affects them.

Quite. Whereas I'm guessing RC prefaced the conversation with the gambit "you know, I'm a cyclist, and I saw this article..." or some such... :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Yeah.

Got to pick your battles!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    sfichele wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    sfichele wrote:
    The high code is the law! But, breaking it does not constitute a criminal act, whereas driving dangerously IS a criminal act. You can only be found guilty of a criminal act in a court room, and the highway code can be used as a guide.

Can someone translate this into English Please

I'll try again. If you break the highway code you have not necessarily committed a criminal act.
    For example, if you are caught speeding you can be fined for that, but you don't get a criminal record for it. There's a difference in the law between an endorsement and criminality.

A criminal act is one defined by the Road Traffic Act not by the highway code.
    For example, Death by dangerous driving.

If you go to court charged with a criminal act, then the highway code can be used as a guide to decide how negligent you were.

This is not fully accurate

A speeding offence is still a criminal offence

The highway code is as you say not the law. In parts it may be a statement of the law, but it is repeating a primary source
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I don't think the commuter cycle traffic should be underestimated though, cyclists often outnumber motorists stopped at many junctions on my route home (which is mostly red route). I'd say they we were the biggest single group of road users during rush hour. Even when the weather is bad. We're pretty visible now, and not in the minority (on my route at least). Another factor is that the demographic is increasingly one that has decision making influence.

Um thats my route in and out of central london, while clearly mostly as best as I can I avoid rush hour if I can, and I normally can, But not always.

I've never seen any more than double figures, on any junction, even during rush hour, while these big 3 and 4 lane can pack the cars in, on peak anything less than three figures is unlikely.

same as your riding along, you can see cars all the way ahead and all behind you. Bikes um not so much.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Quite. Whereas I'm guessing RC prefaced the conversation with the gambit "you know, I'm a mod on a cyclist forum, and I saw this article..." or some such... :twisted:

FTFY
  • rick_chasey
    PBo wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Quite. Whereas I'm guessing RC prefaced the conversation with the gambit "you know, I'm Admin on a cyclist forum, and I saw this article..." or some such... :twisted:

FTFY

FTFY.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    PBo wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Quite. Whereas I'm guessing RC prefaced the conversation with the gambit "you know, I'm smug on a cyclist forum, and I saw this article..." or some such... :twisted:

FTFY

FTFY.
    FTFY
  • rick_chasey
    PBo wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Quite. Whereas I'm guessing RC prefaced the conversation with the gambit "you know, I'm smug on a cyclist forum, and I saw this article..." or some such... :twisted:

FTFY

FTFY.
    FTFY
    *ban* ;)
  • New avatar time for RC

AdminBadge.gif

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:
    New avatar time for RC

AdminBadge.gif

I had this in mind:
    milky-bar-kid-996009036.jpg

Or maybe this one:
    1242811944897241787Warning_notice_-_EVIL_ADMIN.svg.med.png
  • Nah, he's too tall.
  • Origamist
    edited April 2012
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy ... 390328.ece
    John Griffin has told The Times: “My foreword in Addison Lee’s magazine Add Lib, has caused quite a storm on Twitter. In the article, I argued for compulsory training and insurance for London’s bicycle owners and I stand by my contention.

“I accept that the tone of the article was perhaps a little too inflammatory. It was meant to entertain and generate debate, but the online reaction has obscured the main message that there are many inexperienced cyclists who need better training to be safe on London’s busy roads.

“Contrary to what has been reported, at no point did I suggest that motorists are never to blame. Both cyclists and motorists have a responsibility to use the roads safely.

“Cycling is a serious issue and lives are at stake. There have been huge campaigns recently to encourage cycling, but hardly any have addressed improving safety and road awareness for cyclists. If my article causes a debate around whether cyclists need training and holding to the same standards as other road users, bring it on.”

Edited for the benefit of Admin :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Origamist wrote:

Back OT.

Pretty standard. Don't think the article says anything or less than what's been said on here.
  • Origamist
    Origamist wrote:

Back OT.

Pretty standard. Don't think the article says anything or less than what's been said on here.

Missed a bit of backpedalling, Griffin?
  • rick_chasey
    Origamist wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

Back OT.

Eh?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd quite to be a fly on the wall of the AL offices today, it's all going a little bit viral now.
  • Origamist
    Origamist wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

Back OT.

Eh?

How's this - "Missed a bit of Griffin, backpedalling?"
  • rick_chasey
    Aha.

That was to be expected no?

He's retreated back to Greg's Kernal...
  • Aha.

That's known in computing circles as a kernal panic.
  • Aha.

He's learned the hard way not to let a desire to grab a headline obscure a sensible point.

I'd be surprised if it is a Ratners' moment though.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:
    Aha.

He's learned the hard way not to let a desire to grab a headline obscure a sensible point.

I'd be surprised if it is a Ratners' moment though.

No it's not. I'd say a significant proportion of the outrage is more people enjoying public confirmation of their Addison Lee prejudice.