32 x 32

skolsuper
skolsuper Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
I'm nearly ready to build my new wheels for my commuter. Me being just under 13 stone. Wondered if 32 spokes front and rear would be worth doing. 3 x pattern. Wonder if there is any benefit, In using 32 on the rear. Rather than 36.
Your thoughts please. All the best.

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    How much do 4 spokes weigh? Yes, you'll probably be fine with 32 spokes but, for a bike where reliability is an important attribute, I reckon that those extra 4 spokes are worth the tiny increase in weight. At least, I went for 36 when I built a new rear wheel for mine (and I even went for single butted on the drive side too)...

_
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I weigh very little and suggested to Spa Cycles that 32s might be a good idea when I had them make me some new wheels. They suggested otherwise!

It's not even four spoke weight saving as they used shorter spokes on the 36 hole lacing pattern irrc.

Incidentally, the wheels replaced a similar pair the rims of which were written off by a single pothole. So I have no regrets about going 36 front and rear.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    I weigh 14st, 89kg, and have 36 spoke, Mavic A319 wheels that I built myself. I would always go for durabilty, relaibilty and strength over lightweight. Buckled wheels aren't fun. Save weight on the tyres, eg. Conti GP4S front, Marathon Racer rear.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I ride my Ribble with Pro Lite Como wheels as my main transport bike and commuter. Comos have a 20/24 spokes front/back and I weigh 80kg/12.5 stone. When I go shopping I sometimes transport a rucksack with 30kg of foodstuffs so that's 110kg and I've had no broken spokes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I've got 24 front, 32 rear and weigh 13 stone.
  • skolsuper
    skolsuper Posts: 27
    Thanks for the replies. To be on the safe side i will go 32 front and 36 on the rear. All the best.