Rockrider 8.1 2011, essential upgrades?

Cr3do
Cr3do Posts: 89
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just picked up my new bike today! Took it out for a short ride, very pleased with it!

I changed to pedals for some of decathlons own £11.99 flat black pair. And it got me thinking is there any other upgrades to enhance my bike riding? As im new to the sport, ill only be looking for basic changes for now, i thinking;

1: New comfier seat
2:Longer handel bar
3: Maybe New tyers? But not sure which would be best?

Is there any thing else you think should be changed?

Thanks for the help!
Rockrider 8.1 (2011)

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would say, ride it and only replace those things if you arent happy with them.

Apart from everyone having different opinions, tyres will depend on what type of riding you do and how much. Road, Mud etc - we cant even start to advise without knowing what you need from the tyres.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    apreading wrote:
    I would say, ride it and only replace those things if you arent happy with them.

Apart from everyone having different opinions, tyres will depend on what type of riding you do and how much. Road, Mud etc - we cant even start to advise without knowing what you need from the tyres.
    +1, also the saddle, you should give it a chance, most saddles need a breaking in period, and if you aren't already,try padded shorts
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    chez_m356 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

+1, also the saddle, you should give it a chance, most saddles need a breaking in period, and if you aren't already,try padded shorts

+potato. Get a few hours in on it first. If you want to feed the spending beast, get yourself kitted out for the trail (good gloves and helmet (if you haven't done so already), riding clothes, pump, multitool, hydration pack, etc.). After putting the time you'll know what you'll want to fiddle about with. For now, go forth and have fun!
  • Cr3do
    Thanks for the tips guys, your right Ill spend some more time on it first, but I do think Ill end up changing the handle bars for some a little longer.

Any handle bar recommendations?
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Hi Cr3do, on my one I have changed so far:
    Pedals (MG1)
    Stem (70mm)
    Wider handlebar (710mm)
    Tyres (Nobby Nic)
    Rear mud guard
    Front neoprene mud guard

The wider handlebar works great for me, I am more precise with steering the bike, but that's just me.

So far for the price I can't fault the bike

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Replace the paint/stickers, only bad thing about the bike.
  • Cr3do
    jeannot18 wrote:
    Hi Cr3do, on my one I have changed so far:
    Pedals (MG1)
    Stem (70mm)
    Wider handlebar (710mm)
    Tyres (Nobby Nic)
    Rear mud guard
    Front neoprene mud guard

The wider handlebar works great for me, I am more precise with steering the bike, but that's just me.

So far for the price I can't fault the bike

JC

Thanks for the reply JC.

Do you have any links the stuff you have?

I think im defiantly going to change the handle bars to wider ones. They do feel abit narrow, as i have a wide set if shoulders.

Also been thinking about mudguards, but not sure on which to get?
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Cr3do wrote:
    Thanks for the reply JC.

Do you have any links the stuff you have?

I think im defiantly going to change the handle bars to wider ones. They do feel abit narrow, as i have a wide set if shoulders.

Also been thinking about mudguards, but not sure on which to get?

Stem and bars were bought second hand from this site (I think I paid £40 for both and they were new), mudgard got one from CRC (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26205).

And forgot to say when I replaced the bars, I got a new pair of grips from superstars

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Upgrade the contact points (pedals - done, saddle, grips) then go ride and save for future upgrades! If you're not commuting don't bother with mudguards. They just add weight and do nothing for you on the trails :-)
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • declank
    declank Posts: 1
    I've got the 2013 model and so far have just replaced the grips and saddle.

The bike is great, although the gears need a fair bit of tuning.

My only gripe is the weight. It's quite heavy.

I'm looking at replacing the wheels and would be interested to hear if anyone has done this and if it was an effective upgrade.

Cheers, Dec
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Holy thread resurrection batman!

Replacing the wheels on the RR is no different to on any other bike, but first make sure you have good tyres and tubes (lighter weight and more grip) also weigh your wheels so you know what you have to beat, but I would expect that for circa £150 upwards you can get some wheels that will make a difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.