bent crank??

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am coming up to a point where i will be doing a charity cycle and want to make sure my bike will stand the distance (only 50 miles but its alot to me)

I have noticed that when pedalling, if i look at the crank when i raise my right leg there is a slight bend in the chain, as if one or two of the bits that are pulling the chain are bent. Its sometimes to the extreme that it hits the metal (derailer maybe??) as i pedal it moves over that much.

Now im just wondering as a man with little bike tech experience do i need to buy a new crank? or is there something else it could be? I am loathed to be paying halfords or someone to diagnose something you chaps and chapp'esses can help me with.

Many thanks for reading! If you need anymore info dont hesitate to ask me, your help is greatly appreciated.
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    Are any of the chain rings bent?
    Can you feel any play side to side in the cranks/bottom bracket ?
  • Hi,

I have just checked and there is no budging with the crank at all, i havent checked the chain rings if they are bent does it mean i need to replace?
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I expect the chain ring is bent rather than the crank arm.
    As for replacing, it depends on how bad it is. If there's no problem with shifting and it's not causing an issue when changing gear then I would leave it on the bike.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    When you say it hits the "metal" is this in every gear, and a constant or does it hit only on certain parts of the chainring?

Your chainline is only straight in certain gears and it will rub in some usually the extreme gears big/big, small/small
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Hey

It does click only when on certain gears, but regardless of what gear it is in when i look down i can still see if bend when i pedal. Would me trying to bend it back into place be an idea before buying one? Or could i make it worse?
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In all front chainrings or just one? Have you tried rotating the cranks with something against them to see if they are bent (inconsistent distance to seat tube)? I really doubt you'd spot a bent chainring by a bend in the chain, although the lightweight SS chainset I have distprts slightly in top and bottom gears due to pedaling loads.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.