Trance x4 or anthem x5

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Finally got her indoors to agree.

I ride Giant xtc 2.5 at the minute but need a full susser.

I've narrowed it down to Trance x4 or anthem x5 but really cant see the much difference apart from prices. The local giant dealer semi convinced me to take the Trance but have seen a cheaper anthem x5 for less and better spec.

I ride mainly xc, 25 mile plus sessions and occasionally Dalby red route.

thanks
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Trance more travel,slacker angles, Anthem race/xc bike both great and will do what you want.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    what frame size, year and budget are you looking at?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • kirby700
    2012 trance x 4
    OR
    2011 anthem 5

dont really want to spend over £1300 max.

size small
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • chez_m356
    id have a look here http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension probably find something a bit better
  • kirby700
    thats where I am looking, get the link I dotn want them selling them all. ;-)
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Anthem if you like long, fast cross country rides. Trance if you enjoy shredding a bit of single track & all day rides
  • kirby700
    problem is I do both, when theres just a couple of us have a long all dayers but more often we have a fast 30milers on a night after work.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • chez_m356
    kirby700 wrote:
    thats where I am looking, get the link I dotn want them selling them all. ;-)
    better get your wallet out quick then :wink: i'd have a word with her indoors and see if you cant push it out a bit more,explain what a good deal they are, easier said than done though :lol:
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Trance is a bit more versatile and Anthem should be faster over less technical terrain. But differences are pretty minimal, so just get the one you like the look of :)

Cheers

Andy
  • kirby700
    @chez_m356, yeah I know, its taken me a while to break her down, wasnt expecting to be buying for another month or so but might have my hand forced over this one.
    @Andy_welch, thanks mate, I like them both but might just nip to local dealer for a quick go
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • I had the anthem x4 2010 and loved it. Brought a 2009 trance x3 and think its better. Flys round the trails. Can do a lot more than a 120mm travel bike should be able to do. I ride trails with all day epics. The trance is better than the anthem for me :)
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Trance x3
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    Ive ridden both as demos and tbh theres not really much between them, albeit the Anthem was a 2012 model. I loved the Anthem slightly more in terms of being better as someones said on the technical bits.

The Trance really is hard to beat in terms of an All Mountain Bike.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Don't know what the forks are like on the Anthem but I hated the spring forks on the X4 - they weren't man enough for someone my size (17st in me kit) - went for the X3 and love it.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I went to an Anthem from ann XTC and love it.Forget the race/xc tag as this is a very capable bike.

I`ve ridden trails on the Anthem and it`s more than up to it,whilst on the xc routes and on singletrack its every bit as fast as the XTC.

No expereince of riding the Trance, but for my riding the Anthem is perfect.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    I went to an Anthem from ann XTC and love it.Forget the race/xc tag as this is a very capable bike.

I`ve ridden trails on the Anthem and it`s more than up to it,whilst on the xc routes and on singletrack its every bit as fast as the XTC.

Totally agree with this I have the x5 and love it, I live in 7 stanes country and its more than up to the task of hard hitting black runs...............all this rubbish of it being xconly is crap. The 140mm is probably more than most trail riders need anyway.

If you have any questions about the x5 just ask, I picked mine up from pedal on for £899 (not sure if any are left?)
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • rockmonkeysc
    Suspension travel makes a lot less difference than geometry. The slacker geometry of the Trance makes it more stable at speed and will give much more confidence over technical trails. I would pay the extra for the Trance X3 to get the air fork and bolt through axle.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Suspension travel makes a lot less difference than geometry. The steeper geometry of the Anthem makes it more agile and will give much better response through twisty trails.

Horses for courses eh? ;-)
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Before I bought my Trance I test rode an Anthem and nearly bought it. The only "concern" I had was I found the steering a bit twitchy. Of course this could also be translated as "responsive".

I would advise riding an example of each an picking the one you are most comfortable on. For me it was the Trance and I knew it within a minute of getting on it but for you it may be different.

Both bikes get excellent reviews so which ever way you go you won't be disappointed.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Giant do a 5 day demo. Costs £30 plus they take the value of the bike on a credit card as a deposit. That should give you a good opertunity to make sure the bike is right before buying.