Using bar ends on carbon bars - what do I need?

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I've now got exotic carbon bars on my Anthem. I used to have Ergon grips/bar ends on the original alloy bars which I found helped with numb hands. I might want to put these back on, or replace them with stubby bar ends - as first ride out I got the numbness back - but I don't think I can do this without some sort of reinforcement for the carbon bars. Even lock-on grips seem to need assembly paste to grip without being done up too tight.

Ergon do a bar end plug for just this purpose, but at £20 it seems a bit steep. Does anyone have any cheaper solutions?
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as long as they are clamp around type there are no issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    On paper, but in actual fact I've seen many cracked bars (notably Easton EC70s) even with 'acceptable' clamp types.

No first hand experience of Exotic ones though I must say.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have the exotic alu bar ends and a FSA something rather carbon bars.

I tightened the bars ends using a torque wrench to 5Nm and they left some scaring. The clear coat seems to have compressed slightly and there is an imprint of where the bar ends used to be. I can't see any cracks or anything like that and it seems to only be the clear coat that has been damaged.

I use the bars for light XC rides so not worried about it, still use it happily.

Not saying its bad or good just stating what happened in my circumstances.