Warped saddle rail(s)

mattcroad
mattcroad Posts: 189
edited April 2012 in The workshop
Just noticed that my saddle is 5mm lower on one side than the other. Once I removed it I can see that one rail (hollow ti) is angled closer towards the saddle than the other side.

Does anyone know if this is fixable :) , or if I will need to invest in another saddle? :(
There is a rule for that
FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    mattcroad wrote:
    Just noticed that my saddle is 5mm lower on one side than the other. Once I removed it I can see that one rail (hollow ti) is angled closer towards the saddle than the other side.

Does anyone know if this is fixable :) , or if I will need to invest in another saddle? :(

Is one rail bent? If so, try bending it back -- if it breaks you'll have had to buy a new saddle either way!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    I can't tell if it is one or both as I don't have a prior reference, I have a feeling only one has slipped as i'm not a heavyweight.

Any idea on what strategy I should employ to bend it? I am mindful of steching the sockets the rail goes into as if they stretch/crack I am defintely going to have to replace it. I've grown quite attached to this saddle and don't want to kill it.
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What saddle is it? Are there any screws on the fittings at the end? Would it be possible to get the rails out and hold them in a vice? It'll be a lot easier to adjust them if you can get a little heat on them, but I wouldn't do that while they're still in the saddle.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I ended up replacing it when mine repeatedly did this.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.