Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

My 3 year old has cancer, and what I'm going to do about it

2456789

Posts

  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    My love and thoughts to you and your family (especially the wee guy).

    Donation made and link shared via facebook. (I would share via Twitter but the only person that follows me is the wife and she's sitting next to me the couch so i just told her)

    I hope it helps

    Alistair
    Thanks Alistair. I'm hoping to get the link out to as many people as I can. To be honest, even if it gets people thinking about how important research is and how we can make a difference, then we've achieved something. I think Ian Botham has done a really good job of this in recent years.

    thanks again. :)
  • Done.

    I can't imagine going through this with either of my children. I wish William all the best. I wish there was something more I could do - money seems so inadequate...
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Done.

    I can't imagine going through this with either of my children. I wish William all the best. I wish there was something more I could do - money seems so inadequate...

    Thanks very much Pumpkin Positive. It's a horrendous disease, but I'm convinced that with further research outcomes will improve such that our childrens kids, and their kids won't have to suffer. Also, not to forget the adults. It all makes a difference.

    thanks for your support. :)
  • DrKJMDrKJM Posts: 271
    My dad had AML. I sincerely hope your son recovers and hope that all donations raised go some way to making things better for those who might develop it in the future.

    EDIT: donation now done. Good luck for all concerned: health, ride, everything. :)
  • Jonny7cJonny7c Posts: 35
    Donated. Good luck withthe ride and best wishes to William.
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    DrKJM wrote:
    My dad had AML. I sincerely hope your son recovers and hope that all donations raised go some way to making things better for those who might develop it in the future.

    EDIT: donation now done. Good luck for all concerned: health, ride, everything. :)

    AML is nasty nasty nasty and I'm sorry to hear that your dad had it. It's aggressive and currently requires hard and very intense treatment. Thanks for the donation and best wishes . :)
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Jonny7c wrote:
    Donated. Good luck withthe ride and best wishes to William.

    Thank you Jonny7c. For the donation and wishes. Hopefully all will end up ok in time.
  • essjaydeeessjaydee Posts: 917
    Donated :)

    All the best for the future.
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    essjaydee wrote:
    Donated :)

    All the best for the future.

    Thanks essjaydee. Much appreciated :)
  • Peddle Up!Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Hand in pocket - job done.

    Children suffering - why, just why?

    Ian
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Hand in pocket - job done.

    Children suffering - why, just why?

    Ian
    I totally agree. Believe me even on full dose Morphine it was a nightmare changing his nappies. Unfortunately he also had lessions in his bones which is rare in itself.

    Thanks for your support Ian :)
  • tim wandtim wand Posts: 2,945
    Theres been a really good feeling of fraternity and good will on Cake this weekend but this post should stay at the top of the board. You are welcome to my donation and all the best to you and your son , My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Your situation is very humbling and puts the small things of life into prospective.
    all the best to you and yours.

    If you cant donate at least Bump!! lets keep this at the top
  • -spider--spider- Posts: 2,548
    Donation in.

    My wife lost her 11 year battle with cancer at Christmas but the the many hospitals she was in, the MacMillan nurses, Marie Curie Care and the Hospice were all amazing. We need to ensure that these places continue to be funded. A special mention in thanks goes to the main surgeon in Glasgow who dealt with my wife - a skilled and able man. His own 8 year old daughter had leukaemia at the time.

    Glad to see you are well past your target, Big Jim - I hope you raise plenty more before your September date in Zealand.

    -Spider-
  • DF33DF33 Posts: 732
    Donation done.

    Hope you enjoy the tour and good luck with the fund raising.

    Peter
    Peter
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    tim wand wrote:
    Theres been a really good feeling of fraternity and good will on Cake this weekend but this post should stay at the top of the board. You are welcome to my donation and all the best to you and your son , My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Your situation is very humbling and puts the small things of life into prospective.
    all the best to you and yours.

    If you cant donate at least Bump!! lets keep this at the top
    Thanks Tim. You're very right that it puts everything into perspective. I used to get stressed with every day life. Also you see people getting upset in their cars because there's a small delay, etc. But this certinaly put things into perspective for us and hence why I need to do something to help the reseach process.

    thanks for the donation.
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    -spider- wrote:
    Donation in.

    My wife lost her 11 year battle with cancer at Christmas but the the many hospitals she was in, the MacMillan nurses, Marie Curie Care and the Hospice were all amazing. We need to ensure that these places continue to be funded. A special mention in thanks goes to the main surgeon in Glasgow who dealt with my wife - a skilled and able man. His own 8 year old daughter had leukaemia at the time.

    Glad to see you are well past your target, Big Jim - I hope you raise plenty more before your September date in Zealand.

    Thanks Spider. I am very sorry to hear about your wife. The big C is a horrendous disease and is without a doubt the biggest challenge of our lives.

    The Hospice nurses are great, and we have supported our local chesnut tree house and know of children who have unfortunately had to use it.

    Thanks for the best wishes and donation. :)
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    DF33 wrote:
    Donation done.

    Hope you enjoy the tour and good luck with the fund raising.

    Peter

    Thanks Peter.very much appreciated. :)
  • Done. Hang in there and good luck.
    tony
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Done. Hang in there and good luck.
    tony
    Thanks grizedaleforest. Much appreciated.

    I've just managed to pop out for some practice, was hard work. Phew.

    Nearly up to £2K now :)
  • brucey72brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Donation made. Best wishes to you all.

    Brucey
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Thanks Brucey77 for the donation and the best wishes. Was very happy when you added the extra 50p to round off. My wife and I liked the gesture.

    :)
  • tim wandtim wand Posts: 2,945
    Bump, lets start the new week right. Good luck big Jim.

    My 3 year old son William Lyne was first diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia Type M7 in Feb 2011 (aged 2 at that time). He presented with a lot of pain early on and needed a constant morphine background to help through the days. “AML” is the Adult form of the disease (as opposed to the commonest form of “ALL” in children which thanks to research has a significantly better outlook).

    He was treated as an inpatient at the Royal Marsden in Sutton, England until July 2011 when we were advised his chance of relapse was only 30%.

    We were always advised that a relapse within a year would not be good as it would be hard to get William back into remission again, so were always on edge during this period.

    Unfortunately William relapsed over Christmas (Christmas day was the first major and clear sign of a relapse). He has since had 3 courses of strong Chemotherapy again as an inpatient at the Royal Marsden in Sutton and is due a to start a bone marrow transplant (the only known cure following a relapse) today (15/4/12) again as an inpatient at the Marsden. His current chances of survival/ mortality are 50:50. The bone marrow transplant will take an average of 6 weeks as an inpatient, then many months of worry about virus/ infections which can (and have recently been seen to be) be fatal. Though clearly having a transplant in the summer is advantageous with respect to catching a Virus.

    Though I wish I could cure this horrible disease, I know this is beyond me, though I can support the people who can make a difference with financial support.

    With this my brother David and I + my friend/ colleague Paul Richardson have decided to cycle around the Island of Zealand in Denmark (around 260 miles) in September this year with the hope to raise money for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research. We plan to do the ride over 5 days.


    Our charity link is:

    http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

    Though you can equally donate by mobile phone text (SMS) i.e. Lyne55 £1/ £2/ £5/ £10 TO 70070 to donate. e.g. texting LYNE55 £2 - donates two pounds.

    I hope you will support me in my quest to prevent other children getting this horrendous disease.

    imaging.ashx?width=400&imageType=frpphoto&img=42012%2fadeff889-91a7-49a8-abfb-82def1e4aec7.jpg

    Regards.,

    James Lyne
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Thanks Tim wand. :)
  • tim wandtim wand Posts: 2,945
    Bump, sorry folks cant let this go off the bottom of the board until we ve at least got the Big Jim and his boy a fair amount .

    http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne
  • cornerblockcornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Can this be posted over in Commuting as well? As some people don't look over here, this does need to be seen by as many on the Forum as possible.
  • tim wandtim wand Posts: 2,945
    Good shout cornerblock, Mods can you do that?

    To be fair Big Jim 1 checks in fairly regularly to thank all donars, Corner Blocks right though Commuting Chat does get a few more hits and also has links into business and corporate donors.
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Can this be posted over in Commuting as well? As some people don't look over here, this does need to be seen by as many on the Forum as possible.

    Oh, I can do this. Hope that's ok with the mods.

    thanks for the thought.
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    tim wand wrote:
    Good shout cornerblock, Mods can you do that?

    To be fair Big Jim 1 checks in fairly regularly to thank all donars, Corner Blocks right though Commuting Chat does get a few more hits and also has links into business and corporate donors.

    Thanks Tim, I'll take up the suggestion. :)
  • NervexProfNervexProf Posts: 4,202
    My thoughts are with you and your family Big Jim - and especially little William.
    Donation made and links to this topic and your JustGiving page posted on my facebook page.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Big Jim1Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    NervexProf wrote:
    My thoughts are with you and your family Big Jim - and especially little William.
    Donation made and links to this topic and your JustGiving page posted on my facebook page.

    Thanks so very much for the donation. Thankyou also for placing the link on your page. All the support is really appreciated. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.