Hardcore Hardtail Build?

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking at building a hardcore hardtail that could handle pretty much anything.

What parts would you guys use? Budget is about 1K for the whole build.

This is my suggested spec list so far:

Frame: On One 456 Summer Season
Forks: Rockshox Revalation 15 Maxle
Groupset: Shimano SLX, Double and Bash
Brakes: XT M775 or the new SLX M666
Wheels: Not too sure, but want something that can handle a bit of downhill
Tyres: High Rollers

Any Input greatly appreciated.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'm looking at building one soon and looked at the 456 and revs combo. wheels were going to be superstar and brakes were gonna possibly be formula, but other than that it's the same as you
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I'd budget a bit more, make sure you think of everything, its amazing how much extra the little things add up.
    I'm building a C456 with revs and full SLX, with superstar wheels and trimmings and total cost is around £1.4k.
    This was my shopping list, don't think i've missed anything, will soon tell when i'm building it :)

Frame
    Forks
    Headset
    BB
    Cranks
    Pedals
    Seatpost
    Seat
    Collar
    Stem
    Bars
    Grips
    Brakes
    Discs
    Adaptors
    Shifters
    R/mech
    F/mech
    Chain
    Cassette
    Cables
    Wheels
    R/skewer
    Tyres
    Tubes
    Helitape
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Superstar DHX wheels, Shimano Deore/Slx brakes
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    On one summer season is no moew and there's no standard 456 frames left. Nearest I can get to £1k for a decent build is -

You'd be 456 EVO for £199 or an undecalled 456 Carbon for £249
    SLX transmission group from Merlin £224 on offer
    Brakes SLX or XT from Rose or something Avis from CRC for about £120 + rotors
    Wheelset £220 flows on switch evo from superstar, could drop to the AM standard set for £150
    Forks Revs from Merlin £290 or Dual position Coil for about £230 from one of the german stores.
    Finishing kit £100 minimum (bars, stem, post, grips, pedals, clamps, headset etc).
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends how hardcore you want it. My 456SS is built as a downhill / freeride bike with 160mm RS Domain forks, Intense downhill wheels, 1x9 SLX transmission Juicy 7 brakes & FSA Gravity finishing kit. It is bombproof, I regularly ride Triscombe DH trails on it which are pretty brutal as well as hucks, jumps & freeride trails at the local quarry.
    I wouldn't fit 150mm forks unless you want a mega slack head angle with the handling of a DH bike.
    If most of your riding will be all mountain & single track blasting I would go for a 140mm fork at most to get better steering.
  • If most of your riding will be all mountain & single track blasting I would go for a 140mm fork at most to get better steering.

Thanks for that, Will bare it in mind. :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Carbon 456 frame £250
    Deore groupset and brakes £235
    Superstar AMX wheelset £130
    Revelation RL £285
    Exotic finishing kit, MG1, Charge sppon, tyres of your choice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Didn't the carbon 456 get a pretty bad review somewhere recently? MBUK or MBR I think.
    Don't you just get a QR on the mega cheap Revelations? Not a lot of use on a hardcore hardtail.
  • Yup. I saw that review.

Like the look of the steel 456 and when it's back in stock I might invest. Means I can spend the extra on the revalations with the 15mm maxle :)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Didn't the carbon 456 get a pretty bad review somewhere recently? MBUK or MBR I think.
    Don't you just get a QR on the mega cheap Revelations? Not a lot of use on a hardcore hardtail.

In a recent mbuk, after an earlier glowing review from them... Plenty of peeps on here recommend them, give me a week or so and I should be able to give my own point of view, once the frame arrives !!!

Said earlier review http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-on-one-carbon-456-xt-pro-42704
  • rockmonkeysc
    I know someone who has owned both & preferred the steel frame, said the carbon frame felt a bit dead.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Yup. I saw that review.

Like the look of the steel 456 and when it's back in stock I might invest. Means I can spend the extra on the revalations with the 15mm maxle :)

As I've aleady said, the 456 Summer Season is no more, same for the standard steel 456.

You've now got the choice of Evo or Carbon.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not a lot of use on a hardcore hardtail

Why? Many riders can't tell any difference in stiffness, and one is not tougher than the other.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    supersonic wrote:
    Not a lot of use on a hardcore hardtail

Why? Many riders can't tell any difference in stiffness, and one is not tougher than the other.

Only difference I felt was a bit of flex when pushing hard in corners everthing else felt the same.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2