Hoping this is a joke but...

colonelkurtz
colonelkurtz Posts: 32
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
...saw this on BSNYC site - thought it worthy of a repost...

http://delaware.craigslist.org/bik/2947323490.html

Comments

• *Weeps*
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Excellent. Would be nicer with a wicker basket on the front though.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    He might have at least had disc brakes fitted - that saddle's gonna carry a fair bit of momentum!

Also - there should be a pinned thread for the comedy bike appreciation society 8)
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I also had the bicycle shop drill out bigger tire valve stem holes, to accommodate standard car tire size air pumps. So you won't need to keep an adapter with you at all times. And the shop adapted a kickstand to fit the carbon fiber frame, so you won't need to lay the bike down or prop it against something each time you get off it. It also has extra heavy tire tubes.

Has to be a joke?
    exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TheStone wrote:
    I also had the bicycle shop drill out bigger tire valve stem holes, to accommodate standard car tire size air pumps. So you won't need to keep an adapter with you at all times. And the shop adapted a kickstand to fit the carbon fiber frame, so you won't need to lay the bike down or prop it against something each time you get off it. It also has extra heavy tire tubes.

Has to be a joke?

is my giveaway
  • Tom120
    Tom120 Posts: 6
    He might have at least had disc brakes fitted - that saddle's gonna carry a fair bit of momentum!hmp.gif
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    It looks serious to me - the valves are schraeder type... on Ksyriums :|
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    coriordan wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Has to be a joke?

is my giveaway

I assumed that was a typo and meant to say "extra heavy-duty tire tubes"...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    But why????

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • veronese68
    He has more money than sense. Wanted a flash bike, turns out he's too fat for drops. so he 'improved' it, or to be more accurate threw more money at the bike shop to get it into a state that he could ride it. It has sat in a corner of his garage ever since and never been ridden.
    All of this is quite clearly pure hypothesis, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is how it came to be.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Veronese68 wrote:
    He has more money than sense. Wanted a flash bike, turns out he's too fat for drops. so he 'improved' it, or to be more accurate threw more money at the bike shop to get it into a state that he could ride it. It has sat in a corner of his garage ever since and never been ridden.
    All of this is quite clearly pure hypothesis, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is how it came to be.

I've now got a horrible feeling you're right, which is making me laugh and cry in equal amounts. It's too elaborate to be a joke! It's a f-ing monstrosity. He should be put in jail!

Should be sent on to the people at Scott and Mavic. They'd be horrified!
    exercise.png
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    who's gonna be brave enough to send him a link to this thread then???
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • veronese68
    TheStone wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I've now got a horrible feeling you're right, which is making me laugh and cry in equal amounts. It's too elaborate to be a joke! It's a f-ing monstrosity. He should be put in jail!

Should be sent on to the people at Scott and Mavic. They'd be horrified!
    I'm disappointed with myself for rationalising such an irrational thought process.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    It's even got a dork disc on it!
    I feel sorry for the bike, but I'm sure someone with a bit of know-how could get it back to the condition it deserves to be in.
    I'm thinking new saddle, new 'tires', new handlebars, remove the dork disc, remove the kick stand and put some clip less pedals on. The wheels should be OK even with the valve hole in its present condition.

I love the way the present owner has cocked the bike up and then presents all of his changes as improvements.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You know, this reminds me of something
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.