Pulling my hair out. Sleepless nights

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

My first time here and reason is because I really need some experienced and wise advice from as many as possible.

I want to buy a bike that can do it all. Nimble and can go downhill take up all the bumps and eat single track for breakfast but at the same time offer the best and most efficient climbing.

Currently I am looking at either Kona Caldera 2011 or a self assembled Santa Cruz Butcher.

Which one would you choose and why?

Also besides this two what other bikes would you put in consideration?

Your feedback will be most helpful. Thank you

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    look at the canyon bikes mate, grreat value for money, i have 3 or 4 friends who have them and every one loves them

http://www.canyon.com/_en/
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    They're pretty wildly different bikes. How did you come to just those 2?

There are hundreds of bike that might suit your needs. Budget?

Edit: do you mean Kona Cadabra, maybe?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats two very different bikes designed for very different styles of riding. For what you describe something like a Giant Trance X, Specialized Camber or Trek Fuel EX would be much better than either.
    What is your budget?
    Do you really want a bike which will do EVERYTHING? I use my Reign X for everything from cross country to downhill racing but it's quite a compromise. It's quite heavy (35lb) & hard work for the cross country riding & a little twitchy on downhill tracks but I can climb pretty well on it & I'm happy to ride big gap jumps, drops & big ugly rock gardens but for 95% of riders this is very OTT.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If you find it let us all know.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • hsiaolc
    Yes I meant KONA cadabra. Not sure how I've made that error.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I woukld forward my Giant Reign O - was my first foray into full sus and now my weapon of choice unless racing, you can't "power" up the hills like you could in an HT but I happily spin my way up and don't really feel the extra weight over my Spesh HT. Otherwise try a Pivot Mach 5.7 rode one recently and was very impressed.
  • hsiaolc
    Thats two very different bikes designed for very different styles of riding. For what you describe something like a Giant Trance X, Specialized Camber or Trek Fuel EX would be much better than either.
    What is your budget?
    Do you really want a bike which will do EVERYTHING? I use my Reign X for everything from cross country to downhill racing but it's quite a compromise. It's quite heavy (35lb) & hard work for the cross country riding & a little twitchy on downhill tracks but I can climb pretty well on it & I'm happy to ride big gap jumps, drops & big ugly rock gardens but for 95% of riders this is very OTT.

You mentioned the three much better than Santa Cruz and Kona. Please enlighten me.
    I thought the Kona Magic Link system is actually quite good.
    The reason I've chosen a Santa Cruz as a contender is because they have really good solid good reviews from user in MTBR.
  • hsiaolc
    warpcow wrote:
    They're pretty wildly different bikes. How did you come to just those 2?

There are hundreds of bike that might suit your needs. Budget?

Edit: do you mean Kona Cadabra, maybe?

Well actually both bikes are All Mountain catogory I guess can do a bit of everything.

I know there are hundreds of bikes that suit my needs but so far I am leaning towards these two brands.

I have a Kona one20 Surprme 2010 which I built myself and I really don't like the bobbing around and having keep to flicker that switch on the rear suspension. I have tried the Magic Link and I thought it is really quite efficient on the climb and was well surprised. Besides I've always liked Kona and now the Cadabra has a really good deal on CRC which I am considering.

As for Santa Cruz i must say I searched around MTBR and the user review there for all Santa Cruz is amazing and one of their top pupular buys.

I was also leaning on pace but it didn't have the oommph factor for me.

I was planning or am planning to put a Hammershmit on the Santa Cruz. Havent' decided on the front shock yet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You mentioned the three much better than Santa Cruz and Kona. Please enlighten me.
    The reason I've chosen a Santa Cruz as a contender is because they have really good solid good reviews from user in MTBR.

The bikes you mentioned are a bit heavy duty for the type of riding you describe. A 5" travel trail bike is more than capable of this sort of riding & more but they are lighter, climb better & have better geometry for throwing through singletrack.
    As for the magic link, have you tried one? It's awful, it just doesn't work as Kona claim. The Cadabra was the first (of sevral) bike I tried before I bought my Trance.
    I have never actually seen a Cadabra out on the trails, there must be a good reason why no one buys them
  • hsiaolc
    welshkev wrote:
    look at the canyon bikes mate, grreat value for money, i have 3 or 4 friends who have them and every one loves them

Must say first time I've heard of them. They have a huge range of choiced and not really sure which one out of all of those.
  • hsiaolc

The bikes you mentioned are a bit heavy duty for the type of riding you describe. A 5" travel trail bike is more than capable of this sort of riding & more but they are lighter, climb better & have better geometry for throwing through singletrack.
    As for the magic link, have you tried one? It's awful, it just doesn't work as Kona claim. The Cadabra was the first (of sevral) bike I tried before I bought my Trance.
    I have never actually seen a Cadabra out on the trails, there must be a good reason why no one buys them

I tried climbing with a Kona 2+2 with magic link and it climbed very well But I didn't come down with it.

What about the santa craz? too heavy?

My wheels weights a ton with hope pro 2 back and front with Sun Ringle MTX 39 and 2.5 WTB rubber.

So if you are going to buy a ready made bike which one whould you buy? Just one.

And if you are going to just buy a frame which one would you get?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Giant reign x, maestro suspension system works really well.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • rockmonkeysc
    Reign X is an awesome bike, mine makes me grin like an idiot but it is a freeride / mini downhill bike although I use mine for cross country as well. Giant sell it as a all mountain bike but with 170mm travel it rides more like a freeride bike.
  • hsiaolc
    So Rockmonkey is Giant Reign X the bike you will buy again without hesitation? But I must say 170mm travel is a little more than I was looking for. SC Butcher and Cadabra all has 150mm travel.
    What about Cove? What do you think about them?
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    hsiaolc wrote:
    I want to buy a bike that can do it all.

No such thing , you will always have to compromise .
  • rockmonkeysc
    So Rockmonkey is Giant Reign X the bike you will buy again without hesitation? But I must say 170mm travel is a little more than I was looking for. SC Butcher and Cadabra all has 150mm travel.
    What about Cove? What do you think about them?

I would definately buy a Reign X again but most of my riding is riding laps of DH tracks, blast down & pedal back up so I am riding it pretty hard & there aren't many bikes which will take 8 foot drops & big gap jumps and extremely rocky trails flat out but will also pedal back up the hill. You won't need more than 5" travel if most of your riding is blasting down single track.
    Cove make some great bikes, their all mountain & trail bikes wouldn't be my first choice but I would quite like a Cove Shocker downhill bike. For a trail / AM full sus frame only I would go for a Turner 5 Spot, not the cheapest but a great ride. For a complete bike I would go for a Giant Trance X, I had one & for trail riding it's amazingly good, very fast up & down hill & absolutely solid.
  • hsiaolc
    omegas wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    I want to buy a bike that can do it all.

No such thing , you will always have to compromise .

Ok but if you are in the market to buy a full sus bike now which one will you buy?
  • hsiaolc
    Thank you very much Rockmonkey. I will take your advice and look into it.

Surprised you will go for a Cove Shocker but not a SC V10s.

I did look at some Canyons and they seem very intresting.
  • hsiaolc
    welshkev wrote:

What do you have yourself?
  • hsiaolc wrote:
    Hi Guys,

My first time here and reason is because I really need some experienced and wise advice from as many as possible.

I want to buy a bike that can do it all. Nimble and can go downhill take up all the bumps and eat single track for breakfast but at the same time offer the best and most efficient climbing.

Currently I am looking at either Kona Caldera 2011 or a self assembled Santa Cruz Butcher.

Which one would you choose and why?

Also besides this two what other bikes would you put in consideration?

Your feedback will be most helpful. Thank you
    sounds like a cross country bike to me :D
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • hsiaolc
    I believe I am leaning towards All Mountain Cloudy. :)

So any suggestions?

Seems like we are leaning towards Giant Reign X.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What do your local shops sell? Can you test any out that they stock?
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Where do you intend to ride , from this you will get a better list of suggestions to work from, then visit a few bike shops .
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Less compromise = more ££s
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:

Yeah, that ride around the car park will do you the world of good ;)
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    If your looking at Santa Cruz then you must have an open chequebook so why not consider the Ferrari of cycles,,
    Ibis...
    Very light, lots of suspension, Put some top kit on it and you've got a top end MTB that every chav this side of Merthyr will be drooling over and planning to steal.
    But beware the lycra clad fitness hero with a 50bpm heartrate who will smoke you going up the hill on his Carrera. (not Porsche) :lol:
  • hsiaolc
    omegas wrote:
    Where do you intend to ride , from this you will get a better list of suggestions to work from, then visit a few bike shops .

Intend to try as much as all the trails all over GB and hopefully around the world if possible and at the same time improving mtb skills to jump higher and longer etc.

I go to Peaslake a lot to do BKB and etc and also go to Eping forest and Swingley forest. But I've already gone to Coed Brenin and intend to go to Afan this year soon. Later probably Scotland for the 7 Stanes. Next year thinking of going to the Alpes or Whistler.
  • hsiaolc
    edited April 2012
    al2098 wrote:
    If your looking at Santa Cruz then you must have an open chequebook so why not consider the Ferrari of cycles,,
    Ibis...
    Very light, lots of suspension, Put some top kit on it and you've got a top end MTB that every chav this side of Merthyr will be drooling over and planning to steal.
    But beware the lycra clad fitness hero with a 50bpm heartrate who will smoke you going up the hill on his Carrera. (not Porsche) :lol:

Yes I do have an open cheque book. But I don't want to go wild with spending either because then I will get laughed at for spending way too much money. I don't really want to spend so much that I can buy a decent secondhand car ie over £4,000.

I also already have some amazing chains and locks since a bike of mine was stolen on top of my bike carrier.

People over take and pass me all the time going up hill and downhill and I am not really put off by that. You have to take it in life that there are people who are fitter and better than you (of course you try to improve as well). My aim is to get fitter and more skilled at mtbing but I am not out there to compete with everyone I see.
    I just want to enjoy myself and knowing that my money is spent well instead of buying a bike and then regreting it and then change it to something else.

I have two hardtails and one suss and just want to buy one that I will be happy with and can be content with for a few years.
  • hsiaolc
    agg25 wrote:
    Less compromise = more ££s

True so any suggestions?

If you are going to buy a full sus today which one will you get?
  • hsiaolc
    Briggo wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Yeah, that ride around the car park will do you the world of good ;)

True that and a lot of bike shops around me do not carry the bikes that I want. Such as Kona, Santa Cruz, Cove, and a few others have mentioned such as Giant Reign X, Canyon, Orange (no one mentioned it so far).

I am very competent of building bikes btw. I have build a few already for myself and friends and I can build wheels so I am ready to attack my ultimate build (ultimate does not mean max money spend in my book).

So any frame or bike suggestions welcome.

If someone suggest me a bike I will try to source out the frames and choose all the other components that I prefer.