SwissStop lifetime: green vs black

TrekMadone
TrekMadone Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have been using Tektro R540 brakes for awhile now, and I want to replace the break pads to increase the stopping power. I have read many said that the SwissStop Green are excellent, but I am worried about the lifetime. In general, how often do you have to replace the SwissStop Green pads compare to the black ones? How do you compare the Green and Black brake pads? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I've just gone over to SwissStop green on the back (they're so expensive I'm doing one brake at a time) the improvement in feel and braking is unbelievable, definately worth the extra. And if they wear out a bit quicker, so be it, I'd rather have pads that wear a bit quicker but stop me better. Not that I know they will wear quicker, time will tell.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thecrofter wrote:
    I've just gone over to SwissStop green on the back (they're so expensive I'm doing one brake at a time) the improvement in feel and braking is unbelievable, definitely worth the extra. And if they wear out a bit quicker, so be it, I'd rather have pads that wear a bit quicker but stop me better. Not that I know they will wear quicker, time will tell.

How much do you get them for? Because I seems to found them to be about the same price with others brake pads like Kool Stop.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I've been riding on Swiss Stop Green since I built the new bike in April last year - I was worried (a little - life's too short to really worry about these things) about longevity of the brake blocks.

I am not a detailed mile logger - but I must have done 11000km on that bike, including some grimy, wet rides - and there's still a lot of life left in them.

They are brilliant for stopping and I would not have anything else on my bike in the future.
  • humpyg
    humpyg Posts: 50
    I've had SwissStop greens since last May and they've been brilliant. Really good in wet and dry, and no issues. Will definitely buy them again. I paid about £22 from Wiggle for 2 pairs (so you get 4 pads).
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... ance-pads/
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    TrekMadone wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    I've just gone over to SwissStop green on the back (they're so expensive I'm doing one brake at a time) the improvement in feel and braking is unbelievable, definitely worth the extra. And if they wear out a bit quicker, so be it, I'd rather have pads that wear a bit quicker but stop me better. Not that I know they will wear quicker, time will tell.

How much do you get them for? Because I seems to found them to be about the same price with others brake pads like Kool Stop.
    Can't recall what I paid, but I remember taking a bit of a gulp. Relative to other pads that is. I don't regret a penny of it though.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • marcusjb
    It's silly really - they are expensive, relative to other pads - but it's only £20 and it stops you falling off the side of mountains! Pretty good value really!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    SwissStop Green are excellent. I got around 1000 miles out of a set, but that's because I'm a scardy cat descending. :? Their greatest strength is stopping power in the wet. As others have pointed out, good brakes (and tyres) are the only thing keeping you out of Casualty, or a more permanent destination. :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Interesting. So from your replies, the SwissStop Green's lifetime range from 1600km - 11000km. Think I might give it a try.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    TrekMadone wrote:
    Interesting. So from your replies, the SwissStop Green's lifetime range from 1600km - 11000km. Think I might give it a try.

My wear rate is probably at the extreme. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • marcusjb
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    TrekMadone wrote:
    Interesting. So from your replies, the SwissStop Green's lifetime range from 1600km - 11000km. Think I might give it a try.

My wear rate is probably at the extreme. :D

And mine as well!
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Its also worth noting that when your brake pads wear down they wear your wheel down too!
    Hard pads last longer but wear rims out faster and vice versa.

The pads may wear out 50% faster but the rims will last longer. My pads cost £35, my rims are £500. I know which I would rather wear out quickly! :lol:
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I put swisstop greens on my Boardman 600 miles ago.

They have transformed the brakes. Loads more feel and braking power, and it almost feels like you are connected to the road. No noticeable signs of wear as yet, and done a few hilly sportives with long scary descents in the Lake District.

Worth every penny :D