Gorrick this weekend?

njee20
njee20 Posts: 9,613
edited April 2012 in XC and Enduro
After crashing out after 6 seconds in the first NPS I really can't be bothered to go all the way to Dalby, in the rain, to not be gridded this year, so thought I'd do the Gorrick XC race much closer to home! Not done one of the spring series races for years, anyone else going?

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    No, i'm going to Dalby, i'm not gridded, i'll get soaking wet and covered in shit.... I think I need a new gameplan...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    To be honest if it wasn't a 5 hour drive I'd probably go, but I just can't be bothered to spend a couple of hundred quid on a middle of the pack finish again!

Hopefully all the Expert/Elites will be at Dalby and I'll get a good result at the Gorrick :-)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Nope, watching my sis-in-law run the London Marathon :shock:

Good luck :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    Maybe. If the wet weather continues I will probably give it a miss, but if it drys up I will be there. I will be in Masters for this as we can't get anyone to look after the kids, so morning race for me, and afternoon race for Lou.

The ground at Porridge Pot has been very dry, and it does drain fairly well so hopefully won't be too muddy. After Pippingford last weekend a course with some grip would be nice!
  • njee20
    Very true, at least the course will hold up alright in the wet!

If you're watching Lou you can do my bottles then! ;-)
  • JasonRwmb
    Sorry Nick, I will probably climbing trees with the kids during Lou's race, so no chance to hand out bottles. If Dave Brothers is still there in the afternoon he will probably help you out.

I rode around Porridge Pot last night, due to some forestry work a few muddy bits have appeared, hopefully Gorrick will avoid these. A lot of puddles as well, although these should disappear, if not I would imagine a quick hit with the leaf blower will dry them out before the race.
  • njee20
    That's good, weather's not looking too bad either! Think I'll leave the Ralphs on for now.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    JasonRwmb wrote:
    The ground at Porridge Pot has been very dry, and it does drain fairly well so hopefully won't be too muddy. After Pippingford last weekend a course with some grip would be nice!

Was fine this morning although big hailstones since then.
  • JasonRwmb
    After doing a quick lap of the course this afternoon I have gone for a Rocket Ron on the front and a Nobby Nic on the back. I would probably be fine with Rons front and back, but I can see one or two of the steeper climbs getting cut up and a bit of extra traction might be a good thing. It has rained a fair bit since then too.

I am not sure I found all the course as I only made it 3.3 miles. For a course at PP it is doesnt have loads of hills, about 90m of climbing per lap (but I might have missed some out) It uses sections that have appeared in AYTE and Brass Monkeys, but some bits are used in reverse.

Nothing really technical, but there is a big bomb hole halfway round which is normally fine to ride but currently has a fairly large puddle in it. There is a slightly longer chicken run if you don't fancy it.
  • Will be there with a couple of mates, but we're only racing for fun and bragging rights amongst ourselves. Cheers for sharing the course conditions!

Do you mean the bombhole that was part of the last course as well? Thought it was alright, and I'm the most easily frightened of our group. Did crash on the 2nd lap when someone tried to overtake me on the turn right out of it though. Don't blame anyone but myself, but it really shook me up for a bit.
  • JasonRwmb
    I didn't do the race last year, but it is the biggest bomb hole about, so probably the same one, it is down near the canal on a section known as Drop in Surgery.

In the dry it is no problem to ride, but when it is wet it needs a bit of commitment to hit the puddle at the bottom with enough speed to get up the other side. The puddle will probably disappear as the day goes on, either that or the puddle will get deeper and deeper!
  • njee20
    Ah yes I know the one you mean! Nice short lap sounds good!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Do like the 'Drop in Surgery'. Pass through there most Sunday mornings but wasn't able to this morning as there was too much lycra in the area.

Hope you all had fun. The weather behaved itself and most of the course was dry - just the puddles in the usual places
  • Great course today. Lots of fun and seemed like less climbing than the last course for some reason! We turned up late and didn't have time for a practice lap so we had to hit everything without having to think about it too much on the first lap.

Did get lost a few times though. Wish the trail was marked a little bit better.
  • njee20
    Really!? How did you manage that!?

I had a great time, brilliant course, I just rode it all really slowly!
  • pilch
    Good call... Dalby was a mudfest as expected, by the time we raced they had cut a section out and dropped a lap, it was still bloody hard, sections that were impossible to ride that you had to walk up and bogging climbs that sapped you... Somebody stole my legs on the last lap and left me with a pair of marshmallow flumps... :lol:

29er race

29er bouncer
  • guity
    guity Posts: 113
    Pilch, which section did they cut? I wish they had cut a lap for the Experts too. we did basically the same as elites only in my case, a lot slower. I was out there for about 2h15 I think!
  • pilch
    They cut the bit at the top of the long climb back up from medusa's, instead of going up the singletrack climb then down the rooty section we were sent right along the fire road.

I think they had a few casualties on that section judging by the ambulance activity...

29er race

29er bouncer
  • guity
    guity Posts: 113
    I suspected it might have been that. one of the drops on the way back down from there got very deep and wheel sized by my last lap with a big rock directly in front to send people over the bars so probably wise.
  • njee20
    Remember that singletrack being a little sketchy in the bone dry, there was a left hander with a rock just waiting to take you out, imagine it was properly grim in the wet!
  • njee20 wrote:
    Really!? How did you manage that!?

I had a great time, brilliant course, I just rode it all really slowly!

Think I followed someone who was probably on a practice lap. Realised a bit too late that he had no race number on and had to turn around. Took a few people with me too!