Paying Road Tax!

13»

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's still remarkably polite over there and some good arguments being added.... I even found a great page about how much the motorists actually cost the economy.

http://www.jake-v.co.uk/content/54.php

makes good reading.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    okay by me whenever anyone says I should pay road tax, I just respond, well that means post men and paper delivery boys too so cost of stamps and your newspaper will be going up guess your fine with that.

Road surface is adopted by the LA's for rights of way over by the public, there is no definition of what types of transport are or are not allowed.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    I may not have read all of the thread, and I may be stating the blindingly obvious...

When someone says to you "You don't pay Road Tax", usually after a particularly crass manoeuver, it is silly to attempt to analyse the surface meaning of their utterance.

You should consider the function of the utterance.

The speaker knows that the surface meaning is absurd.

The function may be as much for the benefit of the speaker as the spoken to.

By identifying you as a member of an out-group, arbitrary bad behaviour is [self-]justified to the speaker.

They might as well have said "These are English roads - you're a Paki", but fortunately that's become a bit too risqué.

Another point of the absurdity is to intimidate. They assert nonsense, but what are you going to do about it ?
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    It's still remarkably polite over there and some good arguments being added.... I even found a great page about how much the motorists actually cost the economy.

http://www.jake-v.co.uk/content/54.php

makes good reading.

"As cars have become more popular, local services have disappeared and are now dispersed over a wider area."

Good article that! Interesting that motoring habits are also changing the geographical make up of our towns, with local shops being decimated in favour of out-of-town centres, which can place some people at a disadvantage.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have to admit, my attitude towards using the car is shifting recently. I'm beginning to see the local disadvantages to using motorised transport so much
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter