9 Speed: Dura-Ace v Ultegra

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Folks,

I am toying with the idea of getting a 2nd hand bike for training/winter usage and one that has caught my eye comes equipped with Dura-Ace 9 speed. I nearly fell of my chair when I did a price check and saw that DA 9 spd cassettes are currently £125 at Wiggle! There are Ultegra 6500 ones available (at a much more reasonable £50) but can I use these? I couldn't find anything that said it was a definite yes.

Also, can the rear mech get swapped out for Ultegra/Tiagra, etc., if the grit and grime/wear and tear eventually necessitate it? Oh, and would my normal 9 speed KMC chain (X9L) be out of the question because it is too wide??? :?

I don't mind 9 speed (I have 2 older bikes with Campag 9 speed) it is just that I don't want to end up with a mile munching bike that costs so much to run that I have to keep it for for occasional use.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    My current setup is 9 speed Ultegra shifters, DA cassette and 9sp Tiagra derailleurs and it all works smoothly. I'm pretty sure any mix of 9sp components from shimano will work.
    Can't see there being any problems using a 9 speed chain on a 9 speed setup.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edited April 2012
    Any shimano 9 speed will be fine - the main difference between 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace is weight (well lack of as you climb the range).

I have Tiagra STI's, Ultegra Brake Calipers, Ultegra front mech and Dura Ace rear mech(bike was like that when I got it as a used purchase).

Just got some Ultegra STI's though as the Tiagra ones are rattling and driving me nuts.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bobbinogs
    Nice one. Thanks for the prompt replies chaps.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    If you have not already bought, you can get the 9 speed Ultegra's from Ribble for £39.

Or the full choice of Ultegra 9 speed ratios for £44 at Chain Reaction.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    You can use SRAM cassettes too, and probably any others that have the same hub fitting.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Bobbinogs
    You can use SRAM cassettes too, and probably any others that have the same hub fitting.

Aha! Good point, I always tend to overlook that fact. Ta.