when to replace tyres?

scottarm
scottarm Posts: 119
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I've had a set of ultra sport continentals on my bike from new, changed a puncture today and they seemed really thin, typically how many miles would a normal tyre last? probably close to 1500 on this set

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Between 1600 on race tyres to 5k on hard trainers. When it needs changing you will notice a distinct sholder on the rear tyre where its worn flat.
  • zn533
    zn533 Posts: 66
    Hi!

There should be a wear indicator on the tyre. It looks like a round hole somewhere along the circumference. It starts off only a couple of millimetres deep when the tyre is new. Have a look around it, and if you can't see it, then the tyre needs replacing.

Unless, of course, those tyres don't have a wear indicator... Either way, that seems a little low to me. I think I normally get around double that. Check both tyres too - the rear tends to wear more than the front.

Tyre wear depends not only on distance, but also riding conditions, weight and speed.

There's a well known acronym applicable here: YMMV

I hope I've been helpful!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    YMMV???

Anyhoo, my Shwalbe Lugano's which came on my bike were retired at about 1500, loads of wear left but shredded by terrible roads - loads of cuts, etc. Mind you, they were superb winter tyres - 0 visits from the P* fairy

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SecretSam wrote:
    YMMV???4

+1 - I've no idea either :lol:

I just replaced my Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on the Dawes. They'd probably done a good 3000 miles. I only changed them because I could see the inner tube starting to bulge out of a huge cut that had been in the tyre for about 2000 miles!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Rolf F wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    YMMV???4

+1 - I've no idea either :lol:

Your mileage may vary.

FTFY :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike