2011 Canyon Ultimate AL

furrag
furrag Posts: 481
edited April 2012 in Your road bikes
Become a bit of a Canyon fanboy as of late, and my 2011 Canyon Ultimate AL has had a bit of a makeover.

-17 deg stem came from Canyon direct to fit onto the 1 1/4" steerer tube which has become more popular with Felt and Giant following Canyon. Being rare as rocking horse shat, this mean I had to pay £70 for the thing to get me into a nice aerodynamic position. I didn't like the polished silver face plate, so picked up some Black satin spray paint, sanded, primed, and sprayed the faceplate. Then using nail varnish remover, cotton buds, and cotton pads, de-decalled the stem, but not the torque setting - steerer tube is carbon!

Acros I-74 Headset is not typical. Rather than using a star nut and bolt in the steerer, you slacken off a T6 Torx screw which unscrews/lowers the top of the headset directly above the headtube. By putting the stem on, you then tighten the headset. The top cup of the headset then rises to load the bearings and remove play. Doesn't require a top cap either. Simples.

img1549i.jpg

Canyon chain catcher. Rather than attaching to the front mech, it screws in beneath the bottle cage:

img1552e.jpg

New Look Keo blade pedals (12nm). Negotiated 3 pairs of grey cleats and these pedals for £83. Top bargaining! I opted not to go for the ti-axle due to it not being magnetic, so I wouldn't have been able to fit my GSC-10 cadence magnet onto the pedal axle spindle:

img1554ml.jpg

Canyon's own frame-protector to prevent cable rub:

img1556o.jpg

And as a training bike with Powertap on a DT Swiss R450 rim, Fulcrum R5 front, and transparent Canyon bottles:

img1558f.jpg

And as a race set-up; couldn't get the red FFWD rear decals off as they're under cleat coat, so gave up going for a stealth look and decided to get some black/white decals to cover up the rear ones and got some for the front too. Note too black branded Canyon bottles.

Plan is to get a 24h Powertap with Campag freehub and lace the FFWD rim into it. As they're race wheels, I'm tempted go with Vittoria Open EVO tyres at 320tpi. They last roughly 1000-1500 miles, but apparently give one of the smoothest rides.

img1545o.jpg

Frame & Fork: 2011 Canyon Ultimate AL
Bars: FSA Compact Omegas (38cm on hoods, 40cm on drops)
Stem: -17 degrees 110mm Ritchey WCS 4-axis
Headset: Acros I-74
Bar Tape: Fizik Dual tape wrapped to hide grey edges, but to show grey stitching.
Groupset: 2011 Centaur (nowhere near as good as 2010 imo)

Seat: 143mm Specialized Romin
Seat Post: Canyon VCLS

Cranks: Centaur ultra-torque, 50/34
Cassette: Centaur: 12-23
Pedals: Look Keo Blade

Wheels: DT Swiss R450/Fulcrum R5 or FFWD F6R/SRAM S60 with FFWD decals
Tyres: Continental GP4000s

Comments

• woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Different colour coordinated bottles depending on whether your bike is in training or race mode?

GENIUS!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Gilbert rode the ultimate AL during most of 2011.
  • wilty
    wilty Posts: 24
    Just about to buy one of these myself (I think).

Overall are you happy with it? Is this a 54?

Cheers
  • wilty wrote:
    Just about to buy one of these myself (I think).

Overall are you happy with it? Is this a 54?

Cheers

I too have one of these which I use as my day to day training bike. I'm really rather happy with it and given the Canyon pricing model it makes for a supurb value off the shelf purchase.

I'm 5"8" and ride a 54" although I've longish legs for my (shortish) height.
  • wilty
    wilty Posts: 24

I too have one of these which I use as my day to day training bike. I'm really rather happy with it and given the Canyon pricing model it makes for a supurb value off the shelf purchase.

Nice one. What groupo/wheels are you running?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Seriously nice bikes these, nice work.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

Did he? Thought he rode the Aeroroad for most of it.

Lovely AL there.
  • wilty wrote:

Nice one. What groupo/wheels are you running?

Not meaning to hijack the thread....

Mine is a mix of Ultegra and a Dura Ace crank set. As for the wheels I'm running a set of Velocity A23s with a G3 PowerTap on the rear and a PMP on the front. These were built by Strada Wheels here in the UK.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232

Wrong. Aeroad. Certainly for Amstel, Fleche, Liege, Classica, TdF St 1.

Canyon sponsored teams usually have a surprising contingent of Ultimate AL's at Paris-Roubaix. Hoste and Vansummeren rode them to top ten places a few years back. Not sure if it's for good reason or a publicity stunt?
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    The cables asides from the front brake could do with a bit of a trim and tidy up but otherwise good effort
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Wrong. Aeroad. Certainly for Amstel, Fleche, Liege, Classica, TdF St 1.

Canyon sponsored teams usually have a surprising contingent of Ultimate AL's at Paris-Roubaix. Hoste and Vansummeren rode them to top ten places a few years back. Not sure if it's for good reason or a publicity stunt?

Mentioned this in another thread.

It was actually in 2010 when he rode Amstel and LBL with the aluminium bike.

I stand corrected.

http://inrng.com/2011/02/what-do-the-pros-ride/
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I do like the look of a canyon :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I do like the look of a canyon :)
    Even though it's mine, I think they're proper ugly! I've tried polishing a turd to the best I can, but then I did also have a 2010 Wilier Izoard until recently, and that was a work of art!

Griepel opted for the Al a few times too over the CF. Could be part of sponsorship, could be that he preferred it. Who knows?

I use mine as I race, and would be too hesitant if I ever crashed a CF - plus the alu is also cheaper to replace. It's not feather-light though!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    They aren't the most elegant! But I think they look right functional and that.
    I hate the look of my bike (Cervelo R3) the paint is completely boring and due to the frame angles it looks like it's been made my 6 different people each randomly choosing where to stick a tube in the jig, but think the ride/handling is sublime. Funny that!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach