Quick gear tune question....

julesreece17
julesreece17 Posts: 70
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

i have a 2009 GT, with a shimano Deore lx set up. Admittedly, its never seen a lbs since new, and i've never changed the cables since new, so obvioulsy i'll take that into account, but i seem to have an annoying issue with the gear tune, not sure if its me or if theres an actual problem.

Basically started to get into trail centre riding, Afan mainly. And on my last visit, my gears went all over the place, jumping, not changing, slipping the lot.

So had a look on youtube, had the bike in my living room, and had a go at setting the gears. I got the idea, and sorted most problems, but one. It wont change back from 1st to 2nd!! I've set the tune from the last gear as per youtube, 9th on my cassette. Tighted any slack from the cable using the pinch bolt. Set the jockey wheel inline in 9th, and in 1st. Got it to change gear from 9th to 8th using just a little turn of the main twisty thing (sorry for lack of knowledge) and it seems sharp, but as soon as it gets all the way upto 1st, it seems to need 2 click to come back down to 2nd! Cant win with it!

Am i making a school boy error somewhere, or have i got an issue you think?? Any advice would be appriciated.

Jules.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Change/clean the cables. Friction is stopping the gears working.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    New cables. Always the place to start. Surprising even if you do it often how much easier the mechs seem to move.
  • yeah thats what im suspecting/fearing. Never done that before. Youtube will show me how im sure lol. Another quick qeustion, should the gears/cogs on the cassette have a lil bend in them? What i mean is, as i look directly down onto the cassette and pedal by hand from 2nd down to 8th all the gears kind of weave back and forth i little. there's an obvious warping in each of them. is that normal, or a sign of wear?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nothing to fear is easy and cheap and will give the gears a new lease of life. Cassettes can look like they are worn, but some teeth are shorter and different shapes to aid shifting
  • Rightio, cheers lads. A job for the weekend me thinks then.

One last question. theres a screw on the inside of the derailler, it was never mentioned on youtube, and i cant figure out what it does. It seems to move the move derailler i think but cant really work it out. Any idea what it is, and what it does??

Its not the high/lower screws, its further inside that that. Not sure how to link a picture so can show you lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    B screw. Moves the mech closer or further away from the cassette. Adjust it so the top jockey wheel is close to the biggest cog but not touching - about 5mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools