Looking for a the MTB view on CX bikes

Sodfoster
Sodfoster Posts: 412
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im looking for a mountain biker view on some CX bikes I like,

I'm Looking for a CX bike that I can use for the daily 30 mile commute and the odd touring holiday. Ideally want something that enjoys a few knocks and loves the off road when touring but is speedy on the commute. Unfortunately being a mountain biker I know very little about CX bikes.

The three I have narrowed it down to:

Genesis CdF
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... e-ec033946

Norco CCX2
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec031685

Specialized Tricross sport disc
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030754

I have tried the Norco and Specialized for size and they both feel good, although I cant find a CdF in any of the local dealers (they seem to be popular, straight in then out!).

Like you guys I'm coming from the MTB side of things so any help you could give would be useful.

Cheers
Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I bought a Boardman CX in similar cicumstances (tough fast year round commuter for a 30+mile round trip) last autumn.

I've changed the wheels, (crest 29ers and superstar hubs) and changed the rear mech, cassette and shifters to Tiagra and 105 as I was already used to Shimano and accidentally slamming the brakes on while trying to shift the SRAM that came with it was getting dangerous!

The Boardman is a step up vs the ones you've already listed, but there is "the halfords factor" to consider, some stores aren't great, but if you're confident ignoring their advice and checking over the bike yourself then IME you'll be fine.

I'm happy with it, and you can get it with 10% off using the NUS discount codes, or Halfords vouchers at 10% off are a British Cycling membership benefit.

Before the CX I had a Ribble Carbon Sportive and although it was noticably lighter to pick up, when I'm riding it it's not a problem, and it was only a minute or 2 slower over 15 miles. Plus the Ribble felt very 'noodly' when I went back to it, whereas the CX is reassuringly solid. The disc brakes are brilliant in terms of wet weather reliability vs calipers, and it'll take full guards and a rack.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are a hybrid, very much leaning towards the road side of things. I can't get on with them at all on anything but the mildest offrod routes. I love narrower MTB bars, but 46cm or so is a real handful over technical stuff. Add in no suspension, narrow tyres that must be run at high pressures (which further drops comfort), brakes and shifters on the drops, and often narrower gearing and you are usually left with a very twitchy, uncompromising ride that is nowhere near as composed as even the raciest of XC MTBs.

That said, on the road, bridlepaths and forest trails they are fast.

That Genesis looks awful value for money, bargain basement drivetrain, heavy steel frame and allround lowly parts. The Norco is much better specced, the 10 spd Tiagra is decent stuff and adds a smooth carbon fork into the mix. The Spesh looks pretty low rent too on parts.

Look at the weights too: the Norco with the best spec is 11.73kg, that is 25.8lbs - I have seen MTBs with sus forks, wide knobbles and hydro brakes that are lighter (and cheaper!).

To me the best allrounders are MTB hardtails. You are not limited to just narrow tyres (though can fit them if you want), are usually better value, handle better, are tougher and often lighter for the cash. If wanting a swift, rigid bike, then this is worth a look:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45901

Or think of custom building one. The ability to fit discs or vs, multi tyre sizes, lots of bar options (and bar ends) etc etc would sway it for me. You only lose out on the road in ultimate aero position ie on the drops, and ultimate top speed of the usually high gearing of the CX bike.
  • I came from MTB to CX myself. I went for the Cannondale CAADX 105. Sure it doesn't have discs but I changed the canti lever brakes for mini v brakes and they stop just as well as some mechanical discs I've used. The speed of CX bikes on relatively smooth off road paths is fantastic, it blew me away first time I went out.

I went this way as I feel I got more bike for my money by not going down the disc route at the time (last August) I got 105 gearing and the front end is really, really light and from a personal point of view I think maintenance of v is easier than disc.

I also considered the Kinesis Cross Light too. Hope that helps :)
  • supersonic
    Custom build example:

OnOne Whippet carbon frame £300
    Exotic Carbon fork £100
    Deore 10 speed groupo and brakes £235
    Suspestar wheels/crest rims £220

Then £200 on finishing kit from Exotic, lightweight tyres etc. I'd guess at sub 10kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I was in a similar situation. I have always rode MTBs and wanted something more suited to a 30 mile commute. I went for the Genesis Croix de Fer, this is the more expensive version of the CdF. At the time is fitted into the £1000 BTW scheme and that's how I got it (fortunately just before they changed the rules). Anyway, I have covered around 3000 miles on the bike and until the other day all I had replaced was a set of brake pads and the BB. The other day I replaced the drivetrain but it was all like for like. It's also due a new back wheel as I keep snapping spokes and I'm getting sick of replacing them.

The bike has been excellent. My commute is mostly off road on bridal ways with a couple of rougher hills I take just for fun. I ride the bike up and down stairs to get through some subways and the bike has always felt solid. It's a bit heavier than most road bikes but I'm a bit heavier than most road bike riders so that doesn't bother me.

I've took the bike on a scenic route to pick my car up from my parents once and rode over 60 miles. The bike took it in it's stride and just wants to be ridden further all the time. Vin Cox rode one of these round the world in record time.

As this is the bike I do the most miles on I have become very used to it. My enduro feels like I'm riding a big comfy armchair in comparison.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic wrote:
    Custom build example:

OnOne Whippet carbon frame £300
    Exotic Carbon fork £100
    Deore 10 speed groupo and brakes £235
    Suspestar wheels/crest rims £220

Then £200 on finishing kit from Exotic, lightweight tyres etc. I'd guess at sub 10kg.

Nice one! If I'd had the cash rather than having to use Cycle to Work Scheme this would have been cracking! :)
  • supersonic
    It's pretty mad that at the minute you can build MTBs like this cheaper than buying full builds!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    For a 30 mile commute, a road-biased bike is definately a good idea. Even compared to a lightweight MTB, you'll be faster and use less energy. Plus, drop bars provide a wider range of positions you can move into for the sake of comfort.

I like CX bikes - I commute on one, but as Supersonic suggests, for harder off-road, I'd rather be using an MTB. It's just more comfortable. CX bikes can be very capable, but it's a lot of effort (for CAT1 track however, they are rocket ships).

SO, keep the MTB for the off-road stuff, and get something more road biased for the commute. The Boardman CX does seem to be a good choice, and as said above, if you end up with canti's, swap them out ASAP for Mini-Vs. You'll not regret it.

Also, when looking at CX bikes, make sure you can fit mudguards. I can't on mine and it's a pain in the butt on rainy days!

I ride an Empella Bonfire with a Kinesis carbon fork, a mate of mine runs a new disk-equipped Tri-cross and really likes it (he as a dodgy back so likes being able to shift position). LIke me, he also has two mountain bikes.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I think CX bikes have been utterly eclipsed by flyweight XC MTBs.

Much as I like drop bars, the "different hand positions" thing is easy enough to achieve on a MTB flat bar with bar ends. Add skinny tyres - a MTB is plenty fast on roads. After that, CX bikes are all out of advantages.

A lightweight 29er blurs the line even more between CX & MTB.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If you want speedy and are looking at a 30-mile commute, CX is definitely an option to consider. They are, as has already been said, somewhere between road bikes and mountain bikes, but where they fit on that spectrum depends on the choice of tyres and how good the rider is at handling rough terrain (or how willing they are to use that skill).
    - If I'm going to ride only on roads, it has to be the CX
    - If the ride includes a sizeable chunk of riding off-road for the sheer fun of it, I'll take the MTB
    - If I'm riding somewhere just to get there, if it includes a section on rough paths but I won't be taking in the scenery, it's back to the CX
    . . . and funnily enough, I've only got cantilever brakes on the Tricross, and they're OK
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I have a Kinesis CL5T CX bike and love it, I ride it on a host of trails that I used to use my HT on and whilst you cant bomb down the trail the fact that you have to take a wee bit more care and pay attention is quite good fun. I have cantis on mine but would have preffered discs tbh but that is a small gripe. The 2012 CL5T build kit comes with free commuter tyres on top of decent CX ones. Very versatile machine as I use it for commuting and will also go touring on it this summer... should be able to secure this for under £1K with tiagra 10sp I think.
  • Sodfoster
    Great advice guys,

Think I will definatley go for the CX machine, I definately think for a long communte it would be a better option. I also forgot to add that I'm getting the bike on the cycle 2 work scheme via evans so the boardmans are not an option (sadly).

Really like the Norco although on looks alone I really love the CdF (is that really crap spec for the money?).

Any one any experiance with the Fuji Cross 3?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec029205
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• supersonic
    No experience with it, but is pretty light for the cash. Spec is ok - Tiagra is equivalent of Deore. But when you add in the fact it has rim brakes, no suspesnion fork (nor a carbon one) then it is pretty expensive for what you are actually getting, and as above, could build an MTB that is lighter and more capable. If planning to go just on the road then I'd get a road bike.

The Genesis is just awful for the money, heavy, poor spec, I wouldn't pay half that for it.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Not sure why but road bikes have a lot less tech for the money compared to similar priced mountain bikes. On a road bike you'll get rigid forks and canti brakes where you'd get hydro brakes and sus forks.

Get what you like. The "spec" will wear out and can be upgraded or just replaced like for like if it was up to your needs but the frame is what you have to look at for the next few years and if you'd prefer to look at the CdF then get that. Narrow your choices down with your mind the buy with your heart.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Sodfoster
    supersonic wrote:
    If planning to go just on the road then I'd get a road bike.

The Genesis is just awful for the money, heavy, poor spec, I wouldn't pay half that for it.

My commute i virtually off road all the way, maily cycle paths and track. Cheers for the advice on the componets and the CdF (that was almost bought yesteday!).
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• supersonic
    They had a Pinnacle CX bike on offer, looks good (better) value.