Finally Arrived! Giant TCR Advanced 2 *new photo 20/4/12*

anto164
anto164 Posts: 3,500
edited May 2013 in Your road bikes
So, ordered at the very beginning of January, and arrived today, my Giant TCR Advanced 2. This will be my summer/race bike for the next couple of years.

It's pretty nice, quite light, and super stiff.. Feels like it fits me like a glove, but i'm off to see Adrian Timmins at Cadence Sport for a check over next month.

It's fairly standard, only bits i've changed are the standard to a compact (No way i could climb the horseshoe on a standard with an 11-25), a set of 7900 C24 wheels, ultegra pedals and a change of bottle cages. Sweet.

And pics!
6945298958_86d96cd7f8_z.jpg

Built in cadence/speed sensor
7091368095_e85d3314ff_z.jpg

Oh, and i bought a chain catcher just in case.
6945299372_e082a55bc3_z.jpg

Pretty happy! Just need to get my butt into gear and get riding!

[Edit]
One more pic, that's not massively distorted. Went for a ride today, and the heavens opened which meant the white bike got rather filthy. Post wash..

7096706647_307bdafa91_z.jpg
[/Edit]

Comments

• woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Those towels are never going to dry properly like that.

Bike looks great, good choice of wheel upgrade. Is it just me or do the handlebars look wierd? Maybe it's the camera angle.

Enjoy!
  • anto164
    Yeah, it's the funny angle. had to take the photo at 10mm (super wide angle) on my SLR, as the light in the other rooms is dire compared to the kitchen. The bars are normal drops

Just weighed it as of that photo, 16.8lbs. Not bad considering it's the middle weight frame.
  • wilty
    wilty Posts: 24
    Lovely-looking machine :)
  • Giant TCR Advanced series frames have a great look to them. Try and post a better angled photograph up to do it justice
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • si2k2000
    si2k2000 Posts: 61
    Cracking looking bike. Good choice, also got yourself a great set of wheels. I almost went for this model myself at Christmas.
  • anto164
    First ride review? It's fast and climbs really well. It's my first carbon bike and i can't believe what a difference it makes.

I'll try to get a better photo once the sun comes out.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I just love Giants... and yours doesn't disappoint! Its looking fantastic.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nice to see the dog gets a picture of a model-dog to look at while it's eating it's tea.

You need to get the bike in front of a garage door/plain wall, stand back from it then zoom in. Then it won't look like the handlebars have been superimposed on from an actual giant bike...

I love Giant bikes, considering they are the biggest frame producer on the planet, they manage to do it with some panache, aplomb and desireability.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Big fan of Giant bikes and that's a beauty - close to purchasing a TCR Advanced 3 myself. Just waiting for it to arrive...(sound familiar?!)
    FCN 3 / 4
  • anto164
    Big fan of Giant bikes and that's a beauty - close to purchasing a TCR Advanced 3 myself. Just waiting for it to arrive...(sound familiar?!)

Trust me, if you buy one, it will not disappoint. So efficient at putting the power down and really really comfy. It's stiff where you need it, but also super compliant.
  • That's quite a heaadtube...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    very nice
  • the_fuggler

2 weeks to go until the final batch of 2012 TCR Advanced 3s land in the country, including one to my LBS...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • my size M is due mid May, can't wait to get on it. I'm 5'10'' and originally got the M/L seemed OK in the Bristol Giant Store but turned out to be to big. Supplier Wheelies agreed to swap for the Med but there was an 8 week waiting list, sounds like it will be worth the wait though. I prefer the black and white colours of the 2 over the 3 but the price difference between the two seemed a bit steep for ultegra over 105. An added bonus is the excellent service from Wheelies who swapped the bike without any fuss.
  • si2k2000
    si2k2000 Posts: 61
    my size M is due mid May, can't wait to get on it. I'm 5'10'' and originally got the M/L seemed OK in the Bristol Giant Store but turned out to be to big. Supplier Wheelies agreed to swap for the Med but there was an 8 week waiting list, sounds like it will be worth the wait though. I prefer the black and white colours of the 2 over the 3 but the price difference between the two seemed a bit steep for ultegra over 105. An added bonus is the excellent service from Wheelies who swapped the bike without any fuss.

Great to hear of such good service from an LBS.
  • the_fuggler

2 weeks to go until the final batch of 2012 TCR Advanced 3s land in the country, including one to my LBS...

Ugh - just spent a good hour trying to get a M or a M/L to fit properly. No joy. Would need a really short stem on a M/L which sent the handling loopy and a M is just too small, no matter what we did to it. Going to have to pass on the TCR. Bah.

They're absolutely beautiful in real life too...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    What build are you Fuggler?
    I'm 6ft and ride a M/L 55.5cm. I was using a 70mm and recently an 80mm stem without any problems.
    Admittedly, when I get my SL, I'll try a 90mm but that's mainly down to me being used to it now.
  • the_fuggler
    RC856 wrote:
    What build are you Fuggler?
    I'm 6ft and ride a M/L 55.5cm. I was using a 70mm and recently an 80mm stem without any problems.
    Admittedly, when I get my SL, I'll try a 90mm but that's mainly down to me being used to it now.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inside leg and weigh about 80kg. Medium seems most likely, but it just felt cramped - particularly when I was on the drops. May just be because the bike is very different from my Synapse. Haven't abandoned the idea completely - but think I need to go for a proper bike fit as part of the process.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • anto164
    So i got a bike fit done by Adrian Timmis on Friday at Candence Sport, couple of tweeks and i'm all fitted.

A bit of feedback on the bike over the weekend. Couple of rides done. A fast rolling club ride with '10pts for the first to the village sign' game throughout. Needless to say the bike accellerates very fast. Smooth under power and super stable. It loves climbing fast, and i was only ever out of the big ring once. On the crappy road surfaces, it's smooth and puts the power down exceedingly well.

Second ride over the weekend was a steady, slightly rolling 21mph ave 32miler. It's a lot more efficient than the old bike and loves to cruise at speed.

So my verdict so far?
    LOVE IT.
  • the_fuggler
    Bah - what I was hoping to hear was 'not that special; climbs like a pig; don't bother' etc...*

Back to the bike shop then!

*Not really - glad to hear it's such a great machine! Although I think you may be in a very different league to me. I dream of hitting 21mph average over 32 miles...!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Supplier has advised a further 3 week delay on delivery for my TCR Advanced 3, gutted. They do have the Specialized Tarmac Elite, Bianchi Sempre & Caad 10 in my size in stock. I don't know whether to go for one of these or hold out for the Giant. Help!!
  • the_fuggler
    Saw the CAAD10 on Monday (Ultegra) - great bike. Saw the TCR on Wednesday....

...Wait for the TCR!

(I ride a Cannondale btw)

What size are you waiting for? Whereabouts are you based?

Edit: Just read your earlier post - if you really want a medium and are prepared to travel up the M4 then give PedalOn a ring. They had a medium on the shop floor last week when I was in there.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • As the saying goes 'Patience is a virtue' I'll wait for the TCR. I am tempted by the 3 alternatives they all have something to offer, but I think the TCR is a better frame option than any of them.

I'm waiting for a medium and am based the Forest of Dean, Glos.

The bikes an insurance replacement and will be supplied by Wheelies, it's already on order so I can't really goe elsewhere now.
  • anto164
    3/4 weeks in, and it's a beaut. So much fun riding it!

Also, hit a new high on Sat, did a solo ride into wales and popped up the horseshoe.

581845_10150798577503133_502048132_9396012_937530128_n.jpg

The bike LOVES descending. Hit 49mph on the descent and i was desperate for more gears! Then again, i was glad i fitted the compact when ascending worlds end from llangollen (after falling off in the fford!).
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    /waves at Ant.
  • what are those Giant tyres like? I was thinking of swapping them for some Conti GP4000S when I get the bike delivered.
  • anto164
    The giant tyres are... well.. I dunno! i put 7900 c24 wheels on with gp4000s tyres on straight away. Never even rode on the giant tyres. Gatorskins went on the giant wheels which has gone on the winter bike.
  • I think I'll go with the gp4000s unfortunately I can't afford the 7900's as well, but the giant wheels seem pretty good to start off with.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    urgh Gatorskins...awful, awful tyres.
  • Boabie38
    Boabie38 Posts: 27
    Picked up my TCR Advanced 3 on Wednesday, riding the last couple of days in the Cotswolds.

Just noticed a crack in the paint work at the cable housing for the rear brake cable on the top tube (where it runs internally) About a 3mm piece has broken off.GUTTED!

Apart from that loving the ride.

As stock is so hard to come by I'm dreading the thought of Giant taking my bike away for repair and leaving me with nothing to ride in all this glorious weather. But obviously I want it fixed.

Let's see what my local bike shop say.......fingers crossed.