Spongy 'New' Elixir 1 brakes

merekat33
merekat33 Posts: 9
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Having recently acquired a s/h Giant anthem (60 miles on the clock) with Elixir brakes on I thought the brakes felt spongy, you could pull the levers back to the bars... It was OK to ride but my other bikes brakes of inferior quality, feel rock hard, so I assumed there was air in there. Many bleeds later to Avid's exactly procedure hasn't made any better at all. Is this normal? Is there some technique in the bleeding for removing more air, as in holding the lever at a different angle? I've search the internet and can't find very much on this, but both my brakes are the same, guess it could be the pads?

Any advice appreciated

Colin

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Is the rotor being moved by the pads?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sc1858
    sc1858 Posts: 25
    i am having a very very similar problem with newly bled brakes!
    at least i am not alone
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Before you bled them you should have just taken them back. Now you've messed with them, the shop might think it is your doing (as you're not qualified/certified) Don't mess with in warranty things, as easy as you think you can do it and know what the problem is, they now don't know what they were like untouched.
  • Guys thanks for the replys.
    nicklouse - rotor not being moved - have centered them a few times too, in fact the front rotor was bent, new one fitted today - previous owner replaced it for me :) .

Have in fact just taken out pads on both, cleaned muck off and re-inserted, front feels less spongy, could be new rotor and now needs bedding in - will test this weekend.

Chunkers1980 - constructive reply, cheers! Bike is second hand from an advert so no shop warranty and I doubt if warranty covers spongy brakes after initial use as all sorts could have happened to let air in. Bike actually had it's first 'free' service by the previous owners shop before posted off to me too - so guess they passed it fit for service..... :mrgreen: How does a shop know if you've touched/untouched your brakes anyway? They have to believe you!!!!!

Will keep you posted and if I find a solution....
  • Chunkers1980
    Sorry man missed the sh part, just saw 60 miles yours from new.
  • Chunkers1980
    You can generally tell if screws have been 'cracked'
  • No probs, and if it was new and spongy, the bike shop would have it until fixed....

I guess you could tell, but you can sometimes get spongy brakes from inverted brake using, too far out with pistons etc...

See how we go :?
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Few methods I have used to bleed troublesome brakes...

Tilt bike to encourage air to rise up through system

Flick brake lines to move stubborn air bubbles

Let caliper hang loose straighten the run for air bubbles.

Also it may be due to brake lines expanding slightly so check them for damage.

Good luck.