Wheel recommendations

mikelskas
mikelskas Posts: 57
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

Im getting a bit fed up with the wheels that came with my bike. They are unbranded hubs on Alex ALX-190 rims and I find them to distort way too easily when out riding. I find myself having to try and true them after any long ride.

I would be looking to spend at absolute most £250.
I don't do any racing and only use my bike for fun and keeping fit.
I currently weigh 200lbs (14.3stone)

I keep hearing about Fulcrum Racing wheels 5's and 7's and Maviks but I am unsure which would be the best for me.
Any other suggestions?

EDIT:

It looks like my options are 2012 Fulcrum Racing 5 at £179, Mavic Aksium 2011 for £145 or I could stretch to Mavic Ksyrium 2012 for £269 if they are really worth the extra. Any opinions on those three?
2011 Jamis Ventura Race
2016 BMC TeamMachine SLR02

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i have bought mavic aksiums, got them friday. i felt a massive difference straight away and found i climbed a little bit easier. they were £220 that included tubes and tyres.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    ianbar wrote:
    i have bought mavic aksiums, got them friday. i felt a massive difference straight away and found i climbed a little bit easier. they were £220 that included tubes and tyres.
    Probably placebo, Aksium wont be much lighter than your existing wheels, they are good strong robust wheels, but lightweight performance enhancers, not really
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    For £250 you could get a nice set of handbuilts. If you are ok with fettling (which it sounds like you are) then you could easily remedy any probs whereas one would normally be completely stuffed with a factory built wheel. Don't get me wrong, buying handbuilt does not mean you will get problems (I have 2 sets and no probs at all to date; great for all purposes: audaxes, sportives, training, climbing, posing, etc).

Usual options would be Spa Cycles, Strada, Wheelsmith or Harry Rowland. Failing that, give Ugo a PM!
  • merpb
    merpb Posts: 10
    I've just bought a pair of Campagnolo Zonda's from www.shinybikes.com they were a bit over your budget at £275 but really light 1550g and feel beautiful to ride.
  • mikelskas
    mikelskas Posts: 57
    Hi guys, just wanted to update the thread. I had a chat with the guy in the LBS and decided to go for the fulcrums. I have not fitted them yet but they do look/feel a lot stronger than my basic rims that came with the bike. Obviously a fair bit lighter too. Heres hoping for some dry weather this weekend so I can give them a good run out. :D
    2011 Jamis Ventura Race
    2016 BMC TeamMachine SLR02
  • wykex3
    wykex3 Posts: 2
    I bet for Mavic forever.
    Buy the ones you can afford.
    "A mind always employed is always happy"