£2k Trail bike for a tall person

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
A friend has asked for ideas for which trail bike to buy. He is 6'4" and rides a 21" Rockhopper at the moment.
A Giant Trance X was at the top of his list but the large 20" frame is too small.
He isn't interested in anything he can't go in to a shop & sit on so Canyon, Rose, YT etc are all out.
What would be the top choices at £2k for a light full sus trail bike which can handle aggressive riding & climbs well. Around 120mm - 140mm travel?

Comments

• andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    There is an XL size Trance. I don't think Giant officially import it into the UK, but a quick Googke suggests that a few sites offer this size.

Cheers

Andy
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Trek EX 6 or 7. Available in a 21.5" frame. I'm 6'4 with a big inside leg, and it fits me rather well. Just need the 2k to buy one now!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thank. Also found the Cube Stereo, available with 22" frame. Specialized Carve 29 even comes with a XXL 23" frame but he doesn't want clown wheels, mainly because the rest of the group we ride with all have 26" wheels & he never remembers to carry spare tubes which aren't full of holes.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Was going to say cube, as they do big frames.
    As for the tubes, I bet you could use a 26" tube no probs in a 29er. Have you ever blown one up while not in a tyre, there friggin huge !!