advice (sonic?)

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
a guy i work with bought a new bike from his lbs. the guy 'pushed' him into having a spesh rockhopper 2012. (i know he didn't have to buy it) but he's only about 5ft 5/6 and he was sold a medium which he says is a bit too big for him, also he's said that the forks are way to firm for him and he can't get much travel - i'm guessing this is because he's too light?

my main question is: does he have grounds to take the bike back as it really isn't what he wanted, as in it actually performs worse than his old carrera and he thought it was an upgrade and the bike is actually a little too big and the shop knew this and let him buy it.

is it just a case of tough luck, or does he have a case of being mis-sold? i've never been in that situation muself so i have no idea :?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How long has he had the bike, and how much has it been ridden?
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    The fork is shit and a walrus sat on it wouldn't get much travel out of it.
  • welshkev
    supersonic wrote:
    How long has he had the bike, and how much has it been ridden?

a week and 2 rides - he's taken it back and they've offered to change the forks, but just for a different set of the same ones :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think that is a pretty good offer - in the end, as you say, it was his decision to buy it despite what the shop said. That height is not out of the question for a medium Hopper frame, and as you know, depends on so much more than height. I'd try pushing the saddle forwards and a shorter stem.

The fork is actually pretty good, despite the above comments - has the dampers tuned by Specialized and works well, but getting the spring right is essential.
  • welshkev
    supersonic wrote:
    I think that is a pretty good offer - in the end, as you say, it was his decision to buy it despite what the shop said. That height is not out of the question for a medium Hopper frame, and as you know, depends on so much more than height. I'd try pushing the saddle forwards and a shorter stem.

The fork is actually pretty good, despite the above comments - has the dampers tuned by Specialized and works well, but getting the spring right is essential.

cheers mate, i thought that'd be the case but thought i'd check for him first with the experts
    :D
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    5.6" is between a 15/17 inch frame even though height is not the most important factor.
    New forks can be stiff for the first few rides but if the shop is willing to change them maybe they have a fault . If you check the manufactures web site they do tell you what spring you need for a persons weight
  • welshkev
    omegas wrote:
    5.6" is between a 15/17 inch frame even though height is not the most important factor.
    New forks can be stiff for the first few rides but if the shop is willing to change them maybe they have a fault . If you check the manufactures web site they do tell you what spring you need for a persons weight

thanks for clearing that up for me :roll:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    let me guess, Don Skene??
  • welshkev
    let me guess, Don Skene??

nah it's not local to here bri, he works in our head office
  • omaha
    omaha Posts: 120
    My advice would be, if your wanting a bike go to a few shops first and try them out but never take your wallet, keep it for the second visit ,that way you'll never be pressured into it.
    a bike with round rubbery things
    another bike with springy bits on it
    another bike with too few gears