Is this Bike Website a Scam... Thoughts?

juice370
juice370 Posts: 12
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've been looking at mountain bikes for the last week, my first mountain bike in 10 years. I've got a short list of 3 bikes, all 3 are on this site. Thing is I'm not sure if its a scam or not. http://www.bicyclefocus.com

They claim to be in China and have links with the manufacturer, I've had a few Live Chat's with them and spoken at length on email with regards the bikes, warranties, shipping times and all that. They are always attentive and respond rapidly. I've imported before so I understand the fees involved. On the bikes I want I'll save a good £100-£200 which I could do with right now.

The website is hosted in Utah USA, a well known hot-spot for online bolier rooms and internet fraud so I'm hesitant.

Has anyone seen these guys, bought from them and have any other thoughts? Are there any web pros that can reverse engineer their domain to give me more clues as to their legitimacy?

Cheers
Jay

Comments

• Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    Definitely a scam.

1. Their look and feel is similar to Evans website so they've obvs mocked up the site quickly by copying.

2. They purport to sell Pinnacle bikes (Evans own brand). Very unlikely.

3. Their 'Top Sellers' seem rather random, a CX bike as the top seller?!

Nothing about the site makes sense. Steer clear.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • Kinetic1
    Kinetic1 Posts: 1
    Bicydefocus - their spelling error, not mine...I wouldn't even consider it...
  • juice370
    Thanks for your fast response, appreciate it. I found they host their site in Utah with bluehost, so no problem there. But like you say its a terrible site, its not even complete in many areas. So which company do you recommend for either a Scott Aspect 30 or GT Avalanche?

Thanks
    J
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    We have over 5000 employees, boasting an annual sales figure that exceeds USD 13 million

Lies.

Also, yeah scam place.

GT avalanche, I'd look at Pauls Cycles
  • Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    Angry Bird wrote:
    GT avalanche, I'd look at Pauls Cycles

Also for Scott Aspect
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you even have the slightest doubt and think it might be too good a bargain to be true then it usually is dont walk away, run like hell. Plenty of these scam sites about usually from Malaysia or that part of the world but obviously they are getting wise and hosting in another country.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Based in China as well... again a notorious source for boiler room scams
  • pcmart247 is a scamming tech support and the proof is that they have decided to cheat customers with a different name now http://www.cytechmart.com ... Cytechmart is purely a phishing site to try and get you to buy services you do not require.. Their new toll free number is 1-800-474-0168 i tried calling them but they acted as they don't know me. I'm planning to report it to better business bureau.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lisaheden wrote:
    pcmart247 is a scamming tech support and the proof is that they have decided to cheat customers with a different name now http://www.cytechmart.com ... Cytechmart is purely a phishing site to try and get you to buy services you do not require.. Their new toll free number is 1-800-474-0168 i tried calling them but they acted as they don't know me. I'm planning to report it to better business bureau.
    ?????????????????
    I don't know you neither.
    What this has to do with bikes I don't know, but you seem to be spamming it all over the net.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If you have to ask......
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    thanks to all those people who signed up accounts just to post in this thread once

or am i too cynical
  • juice370
    Perhaps its an important subject?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lisaheden wrote:
    pcmart247 is a scamming tech support and the proof is that they have decided to cheat customers with a different name now http://www.cytechmart.com ... Cytechmart is purely a phishing site to try and get you to buy services you do not require.. Their new toll free number is 1-800-474-0168 i tried calling them but they acted as they don't know me. I'm planning to report it to better business bureau.
    bye bye .
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    These one hit wonders never come back anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • juice370
    RE the recommendation above. Paul's don't disclose the weights of bikes. Surely this is key stat?
  • cooldad
    Most 'disclosed' weights are a load of hooey anyway. And that's being charitable.
    Most places will use the manufacturers official weights, so look there - doubt many (any)actually weigh all the permutations of bikes they sell.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Don't think Trek or Specialized (to name but two) put weights of bikes on their sites either. Guess it's just too vague and ambiguous (big word for me :wink: )
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8