Pins and Needles in hands

antop34
antop34 Posts: 62
edited April 2012 in MTB general
When doing the HONC last weekend I developed annoying pins and needles in my hands. I put this down to 5 hours in the saddle, but I went out last night and got it again on a quick hour blast!
Anyone come accross this and know of a good way to avoid it?
I use Yeti hardcore grips on my Easton Haven carbon bar and have a pretty bang on set up all round (or so I thought!)

Comments

• mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    Are your gears / brake levers angled correctly?? You might be at an angle that's putting some strain through your arms/hands.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • gavt0333
    gavt0333 Posts: 95
    Which side of the wrist is it on? Different diagnosis for different sides..
  • antop34
    antop34 Posts: 62
    the brakes etc are set up nicely so that there is no angle change when using them and seated. The pins and needles actually come in the palm! Its all a bit strange.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Do you wear padded gloves?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Tom120
    Tom120 Posts: 6
    Which side of the wrist is it on?
    hmp.gif
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Have you tried moving your brakes inboard a little?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Pins and needles in your hands can be caused by pressure on the ulnar nerve in your hand/wrist... ergonomic grips can help with this. You'll have to make your own mind up about the 'science' here, but I get pins and needles and numbness in my hands using ordinary grips, and have less of an issue using Ergon grips/bar ends.

I've just taken the Ergon grips off my Anthem as I now have wider carbon bars... I'm still toying with the cockpit set up, so things may improve, but if not I'll probably get some reinforcements for the bars and either put the Ergon grips back on, or buy some stubby bar-ends to give me more grip options.

I don't have ergonomic grips on my GT, and I do get some numbness at times... but then I don't use my GT for long XC rides.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building