Boardman Pro HT, Genesis core 40 2011 or something else?

Taba123
Taba123 Posts: 22
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I just signed on for cycle2work scheme and a certificate up to £1000. I already have a commuting bike and looking to get a MTB so I can get out and get muddy with my mates as they always look like they have enjoyed themselves. I used to ride an MTB in my teens and really enjoyed it and have been riding a bike round town and on the road my whole life. The reason I have went for £1000 certificate without choosing a bike yet is it was the last day I could register, and if I have some left over I can use it for a helmet/ jacket/ gloves or new tyres/saddle/pedals or whatever.

What I really want is something that is solid, reliable and will last while still fun and without holding me back, mainly riding trails in the peak district and around manchester (if there are any...). I have read quite a few reviews and had kind of settled on a boardman pro HT until I had a quick look in my LBS and found a Genesis Core 40 2011 for £900. Reading the bikeradar review it seems like it might be a bit more hardy than the boardman, but I don't really know much about MTB's and would like some advice. Another consideration is that being a MTB noob I may not notice if halfords screw something up until it is too late. In the next few weeks I will try to get a go on both bikes, but I would like to know if there are any key differences between these bikes, what type of riding they would suit, quality of components etc. Incidentally I prefer the boardmans looks...

Suggestions for any other bike would be great too.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Boardman is lighter and more xc biased, whilst the Genesis has more travel and more relaxed handling for harder stuff.

Both excellent bikes, I'd go and see the ASAP. Don't worry about Halfords - no more or less likely to screw thjings up than the shop selling the Genesis.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    One thing, make sure you can get the Genesis first before trying it. If you can't and you've tried it, you'll struggle to enjoy whatever you end up getting it.
  • Taba123
    Taba123 Posts: 22
    So what you are saying Heez is that the genesis is awesome?

I am not all that worried about getting the lightest bike, durability and being able to go fast downhill are more important to me I think so perhaps the Genesis is the better bike for me on paper.
  • Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    I had the 2009 Genesis Core 40 and it was a fantastic bike. Very strong, light and well specced. Not sure what the current spec is but mine weighed about 11.5kg after I'd fitted an SLR saddle.

The Boardman is more pure XC oriented, the Genesis a bit more capable on the rougher stuff as is stronger and slacker, so depends on what sort of riding you want to do really.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0