Household insurance - good for bikes

simonjbrooks
simonjbrooks Posts: 25
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
You guys helped me out last year so here goes:

I am looking for a good home insurance with generous bike cover after M&S increased my premium by >30% (I have made no claims with them or become any greater risk). Any recommendations? Any warning who not to deal with?

Thanks,
Simon :?:

Comments

• I've just taken some with Barclays. I just told them how much the bike was worth and I need to take photos of the bike in case of a claim.

Legal & General wanted me to itemise the whole bike before they'd quote!
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    In my case I opted to take out seperate cover for a number of reasons

1) High excess on my home and contents
    2) Most home insurers have a three strikes or similar policy
    3) Better cover on a dedicated bike insurance, included medical expenses, roadside recovery, accident cover, legal protection and like for like replacement

Mine costs me around a tenner a month on a £1500 carbon road bike.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    +1 for Barclays

Just done my house, contents and both my bikes for £18 a month. They're doing half price contents at the minute though you may need to be a Barclays account holder to get this.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Just a quick note on M&S insurance.

Current and renewing customers retain the no special listings and/or requirements up to 4k.

New customers are required to itemise all items over 1k, with additional premiums.

Just something to be aware of should you leave M&S and decide to return.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • hstiles posted
    In my case I opted to take out seperate cover for a number of reasons

Which company is this with ?

My Esure home insurance renewal has just come through and is up by 20%, but when I've looked in the past at separate insurance the premiums have been too high to be a realistic option, but the additional premium through Esure was only a few 10's of pounds.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    sainsburys - were good to me
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    CIS are goo. Bikes upto £1k included and you take out a named item policy for more expensive ones. Costs me £9 a month to insure a £1.3k bike and a £4k bike. Normal contents is anther £10
  • daviesee wrote:
    Just a quick note on M&S insurance.

Current and renewing customers retain the no special listings and/or requirements up to 4k.

New customers are required to itemise all items over 1k, with additional premiums.

Just something to be aware of should you leave M&S and decide to return.

Interesting and v important point for me, thanks!!!